Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before we got Lebowski home we bought him one of the big comfort wheels. It was one of the first things I introduced him to and he has always run in it every night, up until two nights ago. He just stopped! It's really strange, I had him out of his cage running around the apartment (Completely supervised) and then he cuddled in my lap like usual in his blanket. The next morning I saw he hadn't run in his wheel because it was still clean :? I figured maybe it was because he had enough excersice out on the floor, so I took him with me to work to socialize him for a while (he mostly slept in his carrier and poked his head out every now again to sniff new people) took him home and he didn't run again that night. So yesterday he stayed home all day and slept and I cuddled a little with him and he didnt run again! He is eating normally (about 40 kibble a night and a few mealies) and going potty in his litterbox like usual.

Any ideas? I know it's a long story but I'm very worried and figured the more info the better!

·
Registered
912 Posts
Double check the wheel for anything that seems out of the ordinary to you or to hedgie - still turning smoothly? Perhaps it smells funny to hedgie - like if you didn't rinse it out after washing to your little one's satisfaction. Is it in the wrong location in the cage - "wrong" to hedgie, that is?

Check hedgie's wheeling environment - is it too light? too noisy? in a draft? too cool/cold?

Check hedgie - specifically hedgie's feet and nails. If the nails have grown too long, it can be uncomfortable to run.

And there's always the off chance that you have an unusually tidy hedgie who's only making messies in the litter box, so there's no evidence of wheeling.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
smhufflepuff said:
Double check the wheel for anything that seems out of the ordinary to you or to hedgie - still turning smoothly? Perhaps it smells funny to hedgie - like if you didn't rinse it out after washing to your little one's satisfaction. Is it in the wrong location in the cage - "wrong" to hedgie, that is?

Check hedgie's wheeling environment - is it too light? too noisy? in a draft? too cool/cold?

Check hedgie - specifically hedgie's feet and nails. If the nails have grown too long, it can be uncomfortable to run.

And there's always the off chance that you have an unusually tidy hedgie who's only making messies in the litter box, so there's no evidence of wheeling.
I cleaned his wheel like usual. It's in the same place as before and I spun it around it's not restricted in anyway and it sounds the same as always. He hasn't been moved and the apt. is the same temp as usual.

We have been thinking about getting him one of the flying saucer wheels, maybe now is the time to pick one of those up :roll:

The nails is a good point, I haven't really tried to trim them yet. I will have to give that a try tonight when I clean his cage out. Any tips on how to make this easier?!? ;)

·
Registered
902 Posts
I prefer to trim my hedgie's nails in the bath. They ignore me that way as they are swimming/pawing at the edge of the sink with the other three feet. Has worked well for me.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Same thing happening here. My adult hedgie, Pequop, just randomly stopped running and it has been this way for the last week and 2 days. She just hops on the wheel, makes her poo's and hops right off! I did the feet check, she always has trimmed nails, wheel moves normally/positioned properly, no change in temp/food/behaviour.. etc etc etc. I already posted about this because I too, was distressed after 2 days of her not wheeling!!!! :shock: Since she seems to be in good shape as far as health, some advised me that this just might be a "phase" where she is just not up to wheeling.

I am considering the flying saucer as well, but Pequop is pretty ... big. So not sure if the physics of that would work. :lol: Keep us posted on this as I want to see if you find a solution maybe my frazzled brain hasn't thought of!

You are not alone with wheel-resistant hedgie-ness (hopefully temporarily)!!! :D

*edited for a misspelling. :roll:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He ran!!

We cleaned his cage last night and washed his blankie, and then I gave him a bath and trimmed his toenails (Not as hard as I imagined it to be). He also got extra mealies for being so good! And literally the minute I put him in his cage he went to the wheel and ran for a good hour lol

Thank You smhufflepuff, I didn't even realize that his nails were too long, they didn't look it to me but now he is so happy, and now I know when he needs them trimmed.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Yippee! Glad it turned out to be an easy answer :) And VERY glad he's back to running.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts