Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My little guy, Ali (3 y.o.), has started squeaking when I pick him up. I thought he might've been congested or have a possible URI, but he hasn't been sneezing much and when I hold him close to listen to him breathe I don't hear wheezing.

He hasn't been drinking much water at all the past few days and has been pretty lethargic/not running on his wheel at all. Small but solid poops. He just stays in his hide all day/night now. Seems alert though, just zero interest in doing anything. Could he just be dehydrated? Could it be worse? I'm going to get him some watermelon and pedialyte just in case.

Have y'all heard anything like this before? Here's an audio - Vocaroo | Online voice recorder

·
Registered
Holly is 3 years old. Super cuddly and loving.
2,122 Posts
I've never heard that sound, but it definitely isnt good. I would advise taking him to a vet to get tests.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright. Good idea. Taking him into the exotic vet tonight. Poor little guy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just got back from the vet. They gave the poor little guy the works. X-rays, blood work you name it. Vet said it looks like there's a lot of cloudiness in his left lung but not his right. So we're starting antibiotics (Azithromycin) to treat pneumonia in case that's what it is since everything else for the most part seemed okay and no tumors showed up. His pupils weren't responding to light which is alarming because they were last week so vet thinks he might have inflammation and swelling maybe blocking his vision but we'll know more after the blood work comes back. Starting an anti-inflammatory (Meloxicam) just in case in the meantime. So many syringes for things. He's such a little trooper.

Going to toss out all of his existing bedding in the meantime and make sure the air is clear. Thinking about getting a nebulizer for his little room too.

·
Registered
Holly is 3 years old. Super cuddly and loving.
2,122 Posts
Aw poor baby, hope he takes meds well and gets better soon.

If your loosing a loose bedding might be worth making fleece strips so its still loose but not dusty, even things that say they are dust extracted still have a small amount of dust.

I have a small table top air purifyer in my room, I noticed a diffence for me, and I think its made a difference with Holly to.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts