Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, everyone!

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on some hedgie-safe cleaners I can use to sanitze my Ty's enclosure. I've just been using hot water on the cage itself, laundry detergent for the fleece liners (I just throw them in the wash) and dawn dish detergent on his wheel. However, I think he might have some sort of infection on his leg, so I'm wanting to sanitze it as best as I can without risking his health.

(Don't worry, I have a vet appointment for the infection tomorrow)

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
50/50 vinegar/water is what a lot of people use and it works perfectly fine. :) If you want something a little more hardcore though, I used to use diluted chlorhexidine solution to wipe everything down after an initial clean with vinegar/water. I think you can find it from pharmacies or something...I'm not positive though. I found it online at one point & had it bookmarked, but lost the bookmark. I bought my bottle (I believe it was a quart or something) from my breeder when I got Lily & only used 1/4 of it through her whole 3.5 years. Since it's concentrated & you dilute it down so much, it lasts forever. :)

·
Registered
347 Posts
I use lysol wipes for everything! They don't seem to bother Pepper at all. They make unscented ones. But I know many people may not use them for fear of chemicals

·
Registered
944 Posts
Yes, Lilysmommy I have the bottle of Chlorhexidine too that I got when I got Nara from Millermeade Farms. :grin:

I use it diluted on a paper towel to clean the cage bottom. It's supposed to be a safe disinfectant, but I too rinse.
The bottle has hardly any out of it, even though I've had Nara for almost 4.5 years.

The bottle directions say it's for animal use only, for horses and dogs. Also says it can be applied topically. I would never use it on Nara.

I don't like the Lysol wipes, I quit using them because they always leave a residue. We had them at work and it always made everything sticky. :roll:

Reactions: Lilysmommy

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
It is safe to be used topically! You don't want to use it near the eyes or ears. But it was one of the options we discussed in my Pain & Wound Management course for wildlife rehab for cleaning a wound with. It has antibacterial, fungicidal, and virucidal properties. One of the pros mentioned for it is that it will disinfect the wound even if there is still organic matter (maggots, fur, whatever) in the wound. It shouldn't be used long term for anything like that, but it's good for an initial cleaning. :) It's also used for skin conditions sometimes - my friend had to give her new cat paw soaks with diluted chlorhexidine for a week or two to help with a little swelling she had on the underside of a toe. That all said, I would probably recommend using it under direction of a vet since I'm sure there are some situations where it wouldn't be helpful.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Yes! When the vet wasn't completely sure what was going on with Penny's skin, he gave me a bottle of the stuff to bathe her with in order to rule out a couple of things we thought might be going on.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, so much everyone! I think I'll invest in some chlorhexidine. As it turns out, Ty doesn't have ring worm but it's always good to have something to safely clean his habitat with anyway

1 - 9 of 9 Posts