Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I got a hedgehog recently, she’s 8 weeks old more or less, and we were doing really fine, she would cuddle on my lap and sleep there, she’d let me rub her belly and all that a cuddly hedgie does. But one day, she started wanting to be hidden all the time, and not being petted. She hiss at me, or jumps at me really little, she doesn’t ball up or anything, so clearly she isn’t afraid of me. But the thing is that every time I try to cuddle with her as soon as she wakes up, she immediately wants to hide anywhere she can. So what I’ve doing is using one of my shirt to hide her in and she stays there, but I can’t pet her or otherwise she wants to leave. I know she could be quilling but there aren’t any quills around. Does anyone know why this change of attitude is due to?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just a guess here, but since she's very young it could just be her personality changing as she grows up; maybe infant hedgehogs are more open to cuddling, since its pretty typical of hedgehogs to want to hide and not to cuddle. Has there been any change in her diet, environment, or appetite or anything like that?

·
Registered
9 Posts
They're also very big on smell, so if you changed your soap or deodorant or have been hanging around dogs or cats that might have thrown her off

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just a guess here, but since she's very young it could just be her personality changing as she grows up; maybe infant hedgehogs are more open to cuddling, since its pretty typical of hedgehogs to want to hide and not to cuddle. Has there been any change in her diet, environment, or appetite or anything like that?
Curious enough, yes, there has been a change in her food. I brought her home last Saturday, and she had a few cuddly days till Wednesday/Thursday, where she changed a lot. When I adopted her they were giving her high quality cat food, but I didn’t buy it back then; I kept feeding her with chicken, but I soon realized she wasn’t enjoying it. So on Tuesday, I got the same food she was previously having, which she ate pretty well. But I don’t know if it relates, but almost since I started giving her the previous cat food, she’s been acting differently, and I don’t know if it’s the answer, but I think it’s cause she’s got a full belly all the time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts