Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm staring to get a little worried about Puff, my hedgehog I've had for about 2 months now. Ever since I made her cage a little bigger and got my second hedgie on Saturday, she's been eating a lot less. They are in separate cages, but I'm wondering if she can smell/hear Chloe and is not eating because of this?

When I first got her she was only eating 10-15 kibbles a night + mealies and freeze dried crickets, but during the past month she's been eating anywhere from 20-50 kibbles a night, depending on how many live insects she eats that night. The last 3 nights though she's only eaten 3 kibbles, 9 kibbles and 4 kibbles so I've fed her extra mealworms, live crickets and syringed some wet hill's diet a/d food. She engulfed the wet/live food no problem, and even will gobble up freeze-dried crickets, but just isn't interested in the her dry kibble it seems. She's running like crazy on her wheel, and seems otherwise healthy, except for a little bit of a runny nose but nothing major. Chloe (my 7 week old hedgie) has a runny nose too...her's is a little more drippy....is there a connection?? I just thought Chloe's nose was runny because she's only been here a few days and is still adjusting, it's also clear mucous.

Puff's poop has always been a dark brown/almost black and is often dried up by the time I scoop it in the morning. It looks about the same, but I've noticed lately that it's really shiny. Like there's almost a shiny layer on top, does that make sense? Her pee is also very yellow, so I syringed her some pedialyte electrolyte solution (unflavoured) just is case she's a little dehydrated.

My question is what could be causing this sudden change and do I need to take her to the vet as soon as possible or can I keep feeding wet food and monitor? I would take her to a vet right away except she's so impossible without people besides me that I'm worried a proper examination will require sedation which is dangerous :( I don't want to risk her health if this isn't that serious, but at the same time don't want to risk it by not taking her.

The only other thing I can think of is that the past 5 days or so Puff has been losing quills like crazy. She was still quilling when I got her, but now she's past that age, she's over 6 months I think and this increase in quill loss happened all of a sudden. I treated her with 2 drops of dog revolution last night....could mites cause a decrease in appetite? If so, will she resume eating once the revolution kills them off?

Any advice is appreciated!!!! I'm just so worried and unsure of what to do!!! :(

·
Registered
912 Posts
Perhaps the kibbles have gone stale?

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
smhufflepuff said:
Perhaps the kibbles have gone stale?
I was wondering that too. I keep all her food stored in air-tight food containers though and I've been changing it every single night. She did eat a lot more dry food last night, so I've got my fingers crossed she's starting to eat it again and it was just a temporary sort of thing.

Either way I've managed to book a vet appointment for both of them. Next Thursday was the earliest I could get in due to the conflicting hours of the clinic with my work schedule. The place I found says they won't sedate either of them and they will also do some fecal testing for both of them, as well as check her mouth to make sure nothing's up with that. Her poop is returning to normal, and her pee is less yellow so I'm thinking she'll be just fine until the vet appointment. :)

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Lily went off her food just a bit when I had a rescue come into my house for a few days. I think having the noise of another hedgehog in the room disturbed her a bit, little princess that she is. :lol: After Acacia was taken on her way to the person who was rescuing her, Lily went back to her normal eating. I'm not sure what you would do with the other hedgehog staying, though...Sorry. :?

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lilysmommy said:
Lily went off her food just a bit when I had a rescue come into my house for a few days. I think having the noise of another hedgehog in the room disturbed her a bit, little princess that she is. :lol: After Acacia was taken on her way to the person who was rescuing her, Lily went back to her normal eating. I'm not sure what you would do with the other hedgehog staying, though...Sorry. :?
Haha well my Puff sure is a little princess. She seems to be adjusting tho, and her kibble in take has slowly been increasing so hopefully all is well from this point forward. I might start breaking the kibble a bit to make it easier to chew as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts