Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I adopted Penelope two weeks ago. She's still has the same cage and all, with two floors. A couple of days ago I noticed a bit of what looked like blood on her bedding. It hasn't happened again since then. Do hedgehogs have menstrual cycles? Should I take her to a vet? If so, is there a Hedgie vet? I don't really mean to ask so many questions, but I'm worried about her. :eek:

·
Registered
372 Posts
Hedgehogs do not have menstrual cycles. Blood usually means uterine or or urinary tract infections IF the blood is in the urine.

Take her off bedding and replace it with white paper towels. Do a complete check to make sure she doesn't have a torn toenail or a sore foot that might have bled. If it is indeed blood in her urine, then she needs a vet who should take a sterile urine sample. Blood in the urine is treatable with antibiotics. Blood from the uterus usually requires a spay.

Yes, there are vets for hedgehogs.

Did you do any research at all before getting a hedgehog?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, well when I adopted her, the toenails were really long, and it looked like they were bloody; but I take her outside to exercise twice a day and since then her nails are a normal length and her shape is much better. Maybe it was the clippings? I don't know, but I'll search for a vet just to be safe. Thanks for the quick reply and YES I RESEARCHED! >:p

·
Registered
309 Posts
It really ticks me off when people say those things , just because you ask a question does not mean you didn't do your research. :roll: Forums...

Anywho , welcome and ask any questions you have , hopefully they will be answered a bit more politely. :)

And , most exotic animal vets see hedgehogs. It is just a matter of calling and asking :) And the blood could have been from her feet. I would let her walk in some water and see if blood comes off of them ( maybe even some dried blood) :)

Last thing , i love the name you chose , it is very pretty! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts