Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all,

i'm a soon-to-be crazy harinezumi (hedgehog) parent in Japan, but i myself am American. harinezumi are increasingly popular pets in Japan, but it is still very hard to find detailed information about them, reputable places to get one, vets who will treat them, etc. if you think pet stores in America (or any other Western country) are bad, wait until you see them in Japan or Asia in general where animal cruelty isn't even recognized as a thing and the state of animals in pet stores and in people's homes is often appalling by US standards.

that said, i've put a lot of effort into researching everything in Japanese and English and will finally be bringing home a little boy in less than 48 hours. :D i'm so excited! i've gone on a shopping spree getting everything that he will need and getting my apartment ready. the biggest challenge i see ahead of me is keeping the apartment warm enough as Japanese apartments are ice boxes and the inevitable challenge of bringing him with me to America when i decide to leave in the future, but i've researched all of that thoroughly and feel i'm ready for it. :)

now it's just a waiting game until he's here... i will be traveling 3hrs to Tokyo to get him and then will have to make another 3hr trip back to get him home, but i'll be sure to keep him snug and warm the whole way. exciteeeeed... D;

obligatory photo:

he's a little bigger now and is almost 8 weeks old.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
just an update:

the currently nameless hedgie and i made it home from Tokyo in one piece! it was a long and stressful trip for us both with the weather not cooperating at all. thankfully it seems i was able to keep the hedgie warm and dry enough. he got car/trainsick from the very start of the trip and vomited + poo'd all over the fleece bag he was curled up in. that aside, he was a real trooper and eventually slept most of the way.

once we got home he was very, very huffy and jumpy-- understandably so, of course. i put him in his new home and he immediately went borrowing all over the place under the fleece liner, huffing and jumping every second of the way. i couldn't so much as move an inch without getting a reaction. eventually he settled down in a spot under the fleece and got a little R&R. then i stepped out to do an errand for like 10mins and when i came back i caught him wandering around out in the open totally like normal, checking out his food and water and he even gave his wheel a good spin. :D i'm so happy.... :'( *sniffles* he's now back under the fleece getting more R&R and i'm trying to get up the courage to try some bonding time before i go to bed...

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Congratulations! Just curious, how is the non-conventional / exotic pet trade in Japan? The closest thing i had to an exotic pet when we lived in Biei were cicadas, rhino beetles, fireflies and frogs. Oh and a kind of habu that we got from summer vacation when i was a kid lol.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
how is it...? sad along with animal anything in general in Japan, imho. today i went into a pet store that had 8 guinea pigs in a small cage, among other things.[/rant]

but to answer your question, sugar gliders are HOT in Japan right now and h ave been for a couple of years now. if a store has any kind of exotic animal, it's a sugar glider and a ferret. in addition to that, hedgehogs, chinchillas, degu and chipmunks are common small/exotic animals. fighting beetles were all the rage years ago-- even department stores sold them, but now you can't find them anywhere.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts