Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm fairly certain that Nova has mites. She's losing quills and now has some noticeable bald spots. She must have got them from the pine shavings her previous owner had her in. Is there anything I can do to help her/make her more comfortable/get some of those mites off, while I wait for Monday? I've left a message at the vet office, but any advice would be so, so helpful and welcome.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Well i know that if you smother a dog in dawn dish detergent it kills fleas, It may be able to kill mites... It may dry hedgies skin out though so after drench him/her in olive oil wrap him in a towel for 10+ minutes and wash off with just water no soap (lets it stay on without drippy greasy feel) . Now that i think of it... You may be able to find an emergency vet open for exotics theres a list here on hhc Poor Baby i hope she gets well soon,

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The olive oil thing is how you get mites off of snakes and how you kill aphids. With the snakes, ou get them covered in it, let them slide around on paper towel and then bathe them. Do it a few times, because the eggs attached to the snake sometimes don't come off. I wasn't sure if the mites were the same type of animal, or if it would work because the quills seem easier to cling to than snake scales for some reason. I could give it a shot, couldn't hurt. Might make things better until Monday or clear it up, who knows.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Problem with any oil soak is that it clogs pores. If it ends up not being mites but something fungal or bacterial, oil would make it worse. Also the oil will slow mites down, making it harder for vets to see and possibly diagnose.

You're better off just giving a plain old oatmeal(or aveeno) bath and leave it At that till you get revolution from the vet.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I agree completely with immortalia. I think you're going to regret it if you use oil. I would just do an oatmeal water rinse and wait to see the vet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts