Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had Holly for a couple months, and she doesn't run on her wheel very much. Is this unusual?
I hear about hedgies that run miles every night and holly runs very little. I have a pedometer thing on her wheel so I know for sure that she isn't running very much, but besides that she seems normal. She has a good appetite and drinks plenty, this is the only problem. Is it a problem???

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
What temperature is her cage? Is there ever any light (even something small like moonlight/streetlight coming through window, a nightlight, etc.) in her room at night? What kind of wheel do you have for her?

Some hedgehogs don't like wheels, but I haven't seen many mentions of that. So while it's possible, it doesn't hurt to rule out other things that might be discouraging her from using it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Her cage is always 78-80 degrees because she is really sensitive. At night there isn't light because the blinds are always closed to keep extra heat in. She has a Carolina Storm bucket Wheel.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Reasons why my little guy has not run:
1. his nails were too long.
2. he ran too much and hurt his back.
3. the upstairs neighbours installed a new light that they left on at night, and it got through the blinds.
4. the wheel got too loud and rattly.
5. the wheel base got too unstable.
6. the building installed new security floodlights that got through the blinds.
7. a visitor left their laptop on overnight.
8. the ambient temperature was too hot.
9. his names were cut too short
10. to drive me crazy with worry (no apparent cause found).

One repeating theme: sometimes blinds aren't enough. Try putting another physical barrier between her and any light sources, including power strips, room LEDs, whatever, and see if that has any impact.

In addition to the list above, my tiny friend recently had a change in environment (little hedgehog went on an overnight to the pitch dark, dead quiet countryside, then had a heater malfunction, dropping temperature) that resulted in him restarting his running after a multi-month hiatus.

With CSWs, I've also heard that sometimes people need to adjust the tilt back and forwards to find the right one to make their tiny friend happy.

But finally: not all hedgehogs run a lot. Sometimes, it's about figuring out what's normal for your little friend so you notice if she deviates from that normal.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok thanks-I will try what you said and see what happens!
your hedgie sounds like a troublemaker :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts