Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am looking for a craft to do with a bunch of young kids for Hedgehog day. I have found lots of coloring pages and paper plates with triangle paper quills but I was hoping for something a little more fun. Any suggestions guys?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I work with kids! There are lots of crafts you could probably modify but the ones you could use would depend on age range. How old are the kids you'll be doing them with?

One in particular that I thought of was this
http://darlingpetunia.blogspot.com/2009 ... eamon.html
it involves some sewing but children about 7yrs old should have the fine motor skills to make a simple stitch and adults can help with the trickier parts.

Also Ikea has great cookie cutters in the shapes of different animals one of them is a hedgehog. you could make cookies or just use them with playdough. If you can't get the cookie cutters playdough is great for all ages and just add toothpicks to get the quills.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Heather,
Those are too cute!

Jenny,
Hmm I love arts and crafts time! lol
Depending on their age you could do something like:

Handprint hedgehog- This is basically like the handprint turkey where they can either trace around their hands (or use finger paints) and then add on the hedgie details.

Pinecone hedgie- If you have access to pine cones, you can have the kids decorate their pine cones complete with googly eyes, felt (?) feet, glitter (everything's better with glitter! lol) or any little craft scraps that you have.

Clay Hedgehog- This was always the favorite day for everyone in elementary school! The art teacher would sort of sculpt her own model (in this case a hedgehog) and then give the kids an assignment (sometimes bases on pictures/story that the teacher would) to create their own version with the clay provided. For this, you could even give the kids little extras like tooth picks for quills etc. Everyone always came up with such cutest things and after we were all done, we would walk around the room and look at what everyone else did.

Okay I have to get back to work but I saw this and had a few ideas! :lol:
Take care,

Melissa and Miss Muffet

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.