Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I've recently purchased a baby hedgie, and I'm going to pick him up next week (YAY!). However, after I sent the breeder a picture of my habitat (an 8sq/ft C&C cage with a top and coroplast on the sides to prevent climbing) she said that it was much too large, and that "smooth-brained" animals such as hedgehogs will get stressed out in big environments like this. She suggests a cage that is 30in long. Everything I've read on this forum, other breeders sites, and other forums say the opposite...should I trust my breeder to know what's best for my hedgie, or go with my gut (and research)?

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Yes, this is nonsense. There is no such thing as too big. However, some hedgehogs don?t like open spaces so just fill it up with clutter.
People use this ?argument? as an excuse to validate their ridiculously small cages or they simply don?t understand hedgehog behaviour. If an animal isn?t a fan of open spaces just add some stuff but don?t put it in a tiny enclosure. 8 sq feet is the recommended minimum (!) in several countries. Your hedgehog will be lots happier with more space!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, this is nonsense. There is no such thing as too big. However, some hedgehogs don?t like open spaces so just fill it up with clutter.
People use this ?argument? as an excuse to validate their ridiculously small cages or they simply don?t understand hedgehog behaviour. If an animal isn?t a fan of open spaces just add some stuff but don?t put it in a tiny enclosure. 8 sq feet is the recommended minimum (!) in several countries. Your hedgehog will be lots happier with more space!
Thank you so much! That's what I figured, but she's very adamant that scientifically this is best for the hedgies and that she's lost two babies because they "got stressed in too-large cages." Seems very strange to me, so I'm just excited to get him into an environment that's right for him

1 - 4 of 4 Posts