Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I'm doing a project for my Genomics class why the hedgehog genome should be sequence. I'm making the argument for them as a model for cancers, especially breast and oral cancers. Does anyone have articles/publications that I could reference for some fact about hedgies and cancers? Please feel free to reply or shoot me a PM- any information would be helpful!

Best,
HH

·
Registered
395 Posts
While i am also very interested in this for a project i am working on (i have not yet been able to find anything on hedgehog cancer, so it is all my speculation so far).

Many hedgehog organs can be hit with cancer, so its not just oral or breast. I believe they can also get ovarian or penile cancers, as well as basic muscle tumors near the lymph nodes on their legs. (I believe it is just lymph cancer but i haven't gotten around to researching this specific aspect of hedgehogs)

Hedgehogs can also develop brain cancer, but many times it is thought just to be WHS as it has the same affects.

When you finish you project for you class can you please contact me via PM or e-mail. I would much like to have a look at all the information you gathered.

·
Administrator
3,707 Posts
Do a search on pubmed (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/) for hedgehog veterinary cancer. If you do it without veterinary you get hedgehog signaling pathway information, which you aren't looking for. You will find several professional journal articles on hedgehogs and cancer. Some very good stuff is on there if you are really interested in hedgehogs and cancer. Including a recent one of a spinal cord cancer that mimicked WHS symptoms ("Anaplastic astrocytoma in the spinal cord of an African pygmy hedgehog (Atelerix albiventris).")

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you, Kalandra! I was searching PubMed but left the "veterinary" part out and couldn't find much. I just did a new search per your suggestions and it looks like there is some really great stuff there. Thanks so much for the suggestion!

HH

1 - 6 of 6 Posts