Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if anyone know of a company that makes cages appropriate for hedgies that are less plastic-y and more furniture-y. I've seen a lot of fish tanks and bird cages that are very elegant and make a gorgeous conversation pieces and I've even seen a few swanky cat litter boxes/bathroom towel racks (my mother-in-law just bought one :shock: ). I know that there's a few fancy rabbit hutches floating around, but I can't imagine they'd be very good for tiny hedgie feet..

Thus, I was wondering if something that is hedgehog-friendly existed or if anyone had anyone had an ideas as to a company that could make something that's both beautiful and practical. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't know about that, but I built my hedgie cage into my furniture by suing wire cubes as my shelving unit. I then cut a hol into the walls of some adjacent cubes to make his cage. Very convenient and space saving!

·
Registered
84 Posts
well, if you have the money, and you REALLY want something that looks like furniture.. why not? I mena, think about how much people spend on parrot cages.. just a BASIC cage is $500

·
Administrator
3,603 Posts
Some of the cages by design cages are simply amazing. I got to see a large bird model earlier this year at the Michigan State University Veterinary Oncology clinic. It looked very easy to clean and was quite attractive.

BTW, they have cheaper versions than the one in that second link.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Something like a wardrobe would make a good looking cage. I mean the ones with the drawers at the bottom and two doors at the top. If the doors have the center panel, the panel can be removed and screen added. Some of them have adjustable shelves so you could make either a two level cage, or house a hedgie per shelf. I've seen these wardrobes at the thrift stores quite inexpensive.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's a good idea.. I'm thinking of (eventually) building one if I can't find anything that's not cheaper than $900 haha :oops:

·
Registered
32 Posts
If you or some one you know is really handy they can make somthing very simaler to these for a few hundred depending on size. Me and my dad made one for my pet snake when i was younger that looked very simmaler to these the only thing different is we used plexie glass rather than acutall glass. Now if we wanted to go all out and make it look great and use actual glass it would have been a bit more priceyer. but i am going to start making a home made cage that is going to sit in the living room of my house that is going to look like furniture im going to imitate this (its about 3/4 of the way down the tall wooden and wire cage looks good)http://www.angelfire.com/wa2/comemeetmyfamily/CaringForYourHedgehog.html

I dont want to use glass for the reason it dont really allow much venalation in fact those cages listed abouve would allow less than a reg glass aquirum. The cage im making is going to be longer but not as high probably only 2' tall rather than 6'. It will have 2 floors the second floor is going to be a more natural setting with logs, rocks, fake tree lims and stuff like that. The bottom is going to be a place for his igloo, wheel, and toys. its going to be about 52''x24" by 24'' high which is about 8 1/2 squair feet of running room pluse a second floor that will probably only cover half of the cage so add about another 4 feet to that. it will like the ones on the web site listed above have a dark finish to it. should only cost me abour 50$ but i already have most of the wood and the tools. Im later going to make a talbe for it to stand on with drawers and second level to keep supplie on that are to big to go into the drawers.

·
Registered
32 Posts
i do like the backrounds on those cages. They do sell them tho if you were interested in somthing like that you could also make somthing like that for your cage you would just need to go to a company that makes signs or like a fed ex kinkos or somting.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I found that actually, if you use glass or plexi on the front and back, and use a grate/mesh for the top and sides, you have PLEANTY of ventilation, but still the nice look of a glass front and back.. That is how the cages by design cages are made

·
Registered
32 Posts
If thats the case with the wire side's it would be even cheaper to make. They are beautiful Cages at least the ones for reptiles are. Im not a fan of there small animal cages they just look to clunky. But you can make one that beautiful if you know your way around a work bench. I am going to imitate something like this however its going to be that fancy because i dont have the time to do all that and i dont feel like going out and spending a hole lot of money. If i only had the reptile cage that i made when i was younger i could fabricate that for my hedgehog.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I loved the look of vivariums so decided to make a similar hedgehog cage but instead of using glass I used fiberglass fly screen mesh. The mesh is barely visable but allows good airflow. I think it turned out really well.....

That's a Marchioro 120 cage on top of it and, as you can see, it's quite a bit bigger than that. I fixed velcro to the inside of the cage and to the fleece liners to stop Hector from burrowing under them. He loves his new cage! :D
I've already finished another one for my cinnicot girl Amelia, and I'm hoping to do the 3rd and final one, for my chocolate female Harriet, in the next week or so. :D

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OMG! those look AMAZING!!!!!!!!

That's pretty much exactly what I want to do!

Thanks Thistle!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts