Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realized that my hedgie cage is kinda on the smaller side. I was wondering if it was too small. I plan on getting a bigger cage whithin a year. Here are a few pictures. :)

·
Registered
395 Posts
it is much bigger than the cage vex was in for the year and 6 months before i got a hold of him. I promptly modified his cage and attached it to a steralite container that on its own has 6 square feet of room, and with his 2 square foot wheel and litter area that was his old cage it gives a total of 8 square feet of floor space, with at least 5 of it taken up by food, hiding, litter and wheel. That leaves him with at least 3 square feet of actually maneuverability and running space for when he is in his cage while i sleep.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I looked at all of the cage examples and they looked all cool and big, and then I looked at my cage and it looks kind of dull and small. Wow! you have a lot of space for him to move in. I wish I could add onto Brunos cage but it is a wire cage and I dont have the right stuff to do it. Anyways thanks for the response and I will defiantly plan on getting a bigger cage! :D

·
Registered
912 Posts
Heehee. I had the same problem at first. It seemed like the cage I had would be just fine. But then I started putting in the bowls (no problem), some toys (still okay), the wheel (hmm...), the igloo (oh no!). It all fit with a little room to spare so hedgie would be able to walk around. And she would *probably* have been okay. But I decided to upgrade to a larger cage anyway. Now she's in a big cage and chooses to spend most of her time in just one little spot :roll:

·
Registered
395 Posts
lol, i plan on buying vex a ferret nation cage when i get my pay cheque next friday. I have almost enough saved up for it, just need the last little bit.

Vex is an explorer, so every time a look hes in a different hiding spot, or somewhere where he shouldn't be lmao.

Hes a little trouble maker.

Your cage should work find for now. The only thing you may find is that bruno may run behind the wheel and push it around. Vex did this in his really small cage to try and make room, but then he couldn't run on the wheel.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lol Bruno spends most of his time on his wheel or being under it. He doesn't move his wheel around luckily he squeezes right around it. Fabio my sisters hedgie likes to move around his wheel and one times the whole top was knocked off. :lol: Bruno also likes to knock over his food dish and waste all of his food by peeing on it. In the morning I find little poopies on his food that he spilled. :lol:

·
Registered
395 Posts
the easiest way to remedy that would to be getting a heavier bowl. The bolw he has now looks like it can bee spilled easily. I suggest getting one similar to the water bowl you have, or getting a low rising ceramic bowl. Make sure that on a ceramic dish the edges do not extend past the base like this: \_/
His bowl should look like this: |_|

does he actually pee in the bowl or just on the spilled food? Also does he regularly use his litter box?

One solution may be moving his litter box to where his food bowl is if he prefers to do his business there, and then move his food closer to the water dish. This may also encourage him to use the litter to pee if he is wheeling. My litter is right by the wheel, and i often see vex get off to pee then starts wheeling again. He does not however get off to poop.

Also with the food dish right below the wheel, it may be poo that is falling off the wheel into or near the bowl. Bruno may also be tipping it trying to get behind his wheel.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He pees on his spilt food, and I tryed a litter box but he never used it, and it took up space so I took it out. He usually poos adn probably pees on his wheel though. When he pees soemtimes he likes to walk when he does it..like he is marking his territory or something :? Thanks for the suggestions but I dont have a litter box in his cage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts