Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi y'all!! I'm a new hedgehog momma, I brought home my baby (named Benjamin Frappuccino, Bennie or Lil' Frap for short) about a month ago, and he's absolutely delightful. A total sweetheart, he likes to take naps on my lap while I watch tv or do homework, has a calm demeanor but still a lot of personality, and generally pretty excited about life. He's wonderful, except one thing-he bites. A lot. And I have NO CLUE why?? He's not angry at all when he does this(except when I was giving him a bath and he went on the attack. He was upset then, I think.) Or at least, he's not acting angry. His little quills are flat, he's not huffing or making any noise, it's just that as soon as he's handled he bites. And not just hands, either. He was on my lap last night, and he was burrowing on my pajamas, completely calm and doing his hedgehog thing, when boom! He snags my leg with no warning. I picked him up and bumped him on the nose (really lightly, just as kind of a 'hey, stop!' kind of thing, I don't really know what else to do to get him to stop). I put him down, and he did the same thing again!! No apparent reason. He bites other people, too. My friend wanted to hold Bennie and I put him on her hands. He immediately grabbed her. He wasn't anointing cause she was new (though he does that a lot, too) he just straight up BIT her. It hurts, too! My legs are red from last night when baby bit me. He also tries to bite my toes whenever I set him up a play area and he's around my feet. I did some research and the only thing I really found is that this is not average hedghog behavior. Help!! :confused::confused: I'm hoping someone here knows what's going on and how I can bring him out of it!! He's done it a lot more this week than the weeks previous, but nothing overtly new has happened. I started college three weeks ago, so he's had time to get used to the dorm. We were back at my house for labor day weekend, but he knows that place, too. So nothing new should be tripping him out. And like I said, he's generally very calm. He's sleeping on my lap as I type this. He barely even raises his quills when I pick him up, and only huffs two or three times. He's getting exercise, and sometimes I take him out on adventures. He even sits totally still and doesn't bat an eye when I clip his nails. Why is he biting??
As for his behavior when he bites, it's very sudden. No warning at all apart from him opening his mouth. He likes to bite things in general I think, but I don't know why he would do it so much to me. After his teeth are on, his attack quills raise like he's about to tug on whatever he's holding in his mouth. But no noises of anger--or any noises, for that matter. He just kind of does it and does it often. But, since it hurts and he's broken my skin, I would really appreciate it if he'd stop. Anyone know why he's biting or how to stop it?? I heard crabapple oil will give your hands a bad taste and make them stop. Oh--also, I don't smell like food when he does this. I wash my hands before I pick him up (I started cause I thought that amy be the original problem, but it didn't stop him).
I love my hedgehog and I don't want to be afraid to hold him, but I am, and I'd really like to put in the effort to change that. Any input is greatly appreciated, and I hope you all are having a lovely day/ night!! Thanks ^_^

·
Registered
498 Posts
What do you do after he bites you? Do you put him away or keep playing?

I'm not very experienced with hedgehogs, but maybe the soap is making things worse. Your soap might smell like something tasty to him. Maybe even your shower gel if he's biting your legs and toes.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
http://www.hedgehogcentral.com/foru...r/100362-so-your-hedgehog-biter-now-what.html

There is a start. Also do not react to him biting AT ALL. Just wait it out.
Soaps, lotions, perfumes and basically anything scented can contribute to being bitten. Any remnants of food can lead to tasting. Also, as much as we'd like to avoid it, some body parts have a stronger smell. Watch having him hang out on your lap if your wearing bike shorts.

Yes it hurts. I won't argue with that at all. Also anyone who uses any tobacco product is more prone to being bitten.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Adding a question, what is your hedgehog doing before he bites? Sniffing, licking, giving you stink-eye, or does his behavior change even the slightest?

What happens before can give you some insight into why he bites and that will give you the insight into how to avoid his sharp teeth.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts