Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't understand. I keep the room temperature around 74-76F (i have a thermometer on her cage), sometimes warmer. I've seen her be fine in 70F before. From what I've ever observed, 75F is her favorite temp. But every time I've gotten her out at night recently she just feels cold. I tried cranking the heat up in the rooms she's in. I put a snuggle safe under where she sleeps and she just moves away from it.
Should I be worried about how cold she feels? I don't want her to get sick.
Other than her feeling cold, everything else seems fine. Same wheel running, eating pattern, meal worm obsession, pooping is good. She has a runny nose, but I've had her over a year and she's always had a runny nose. Vet prescribed antibiotics and those didn't ever clear it up.

Thanks in advance for advice.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I'd up the temp a degree or two.

How's her lighting? Inconsistent or inadequate lighting could also be a cause.

·
Administrator
3,707 Posts
What is her sleeping house like? Does she burrow under things to sleep on the bottom of the cage or in a snuggle bag? Sometimes where they sleep can be a cause for getting a cool tummy. With one of mine if she burrows under her liner she will get cool.

Also is she in a draft? Or near a heat vent? If so, when the furnace kicks on she could be getting really warm then cooling back down when the furnace kicks off. Such things can cause them to get a cool tummy.

Is her nose really runny or just wet? Some lick their nose pretty often and it is always wet. Rose does this.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've been paying more attention to the lighting. That could have been a problem.
She used to burrow under the liners but more recently she's been in her hedgie bag.
She's also near a heat vent, so perhaps that is also a cause. She isn't where I normally keep her so any of these things could be a problem.
And her nose is usually runny right when I take her out, and then once she calms down around me it's fine. So I gathered maybe it's a stress related thing. She had this problem since I got her and the vet didn't know what it could be, either.
I altered a few things from yalls suggestions, and things seemed better last night. Thank you!

·
Registered
78 Posts
They like 12 hours of light but not in direct sunlight of course
Sorry that your hedgehog has been a bit poorly that must make all the difference
Zoozones are draft proof but I hear that in America they don't like them
I live in Britain where the climate is a bit different

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the concern. :) I've heard of ZooZone, but this summer I just bought her a very nice, gigantic cage so my parents would be less than happy if I got another. :D

Now I'm worried her runny nose may be a little worse than normal. She sneezes and is a little snuffly sounding... :-/ Her discharge is clear like always. Her breathing doesn't sound labored or wheezy. She just snuffles a little bit and sneezes out the discharge.
Last time I tried antibiotics (baytril) with this it didn't work...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Poor thing
Maybe better check with the vet if your hedgehog has a very runny nose this could be a respirity infection (can't spell)
Need to keep hedgie a little warmer and make sure he's not in a draft

1 - 8 of 8 Posts