Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

So, I've been researching and looking into buying a hedgie from a local breeder. Well, it's out of state technically, but just a couple hours drive away. I fell in love with these cutiepies over the past month and have done my best to research every single possible thing to prepare for bringing one home. I've even started looking for a local vet to take my potential hedgie to when he/she arrives.

My problem is, I've never handled or been around hedgehogs before. I've also never had a pet of my own. We had a family dog when I was younger but we had to give him away when I was in highschool. But that doesn't matter, really what I'm concerned about are the quills!

I have chronic hives that are usually brought on by contact conditions -- Basically, my skin is really quite sensitive. I'm afraid that I'm gonna bring my little guy home and not be able to play with him or handle him every day. Sometimes my condition isn't so bad, but there are days where I can barely touch anything that agitates my skin without breaking out in hives.

So...How bad are the quills, really? Do any of you hedgehog moms/dads have sensitive skin? Is it a problem?

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
If your skin is that sensitive I really do not recommend you get a hedgehog. The quills can bother even those who do not have sensitive skin or any allergies. Some hedgehogs cause more allergy and skin problems than others and I find babies can sometimes be worse than adults. Sadly, when you bring home that baby, you have no clue if as an adult it is going to bother you.

Some people feel the reaction is worse when the hedgehog is dirty and regular baths help. I personally find it doesn't seem to matter. Some of my messiest and dirtiest don't fizz on me while others do and sometimes the neat freak clean ones bother me. Sometimes it is the bedding the hedgehog is on that causes the problem and an easy fix is using liners. Often though, it is the urine and sometimes the saliva when they annoint that bothers people.

I suggest you find someone who has a hedgehog and spend some time with it. Often the initial contact won't cause a problem but repeated handling will.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh dear...I was afraid of that response.

I think I shall have to hold off until I can meet a hedgehog face to face.

Thank you. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts