1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey
Im thinking about getting a hedgehog !

On HHC , they say hedgehogs are "diurnal (awake parts of both day and night)"
But most other people say they are noctunal!

What about your hedgehog??
Is he awake in the morning or sometimes in the day??
What time to they wake up in the evening??

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Some hedgehogs will occasionally wake up during the day to grab a bite to eat, or maybe do a couple of spins on their wheel. But I'm not sure how common those hedgies are.
Lily is a sleepy hedgie. She sleeps all day, and is still sleeping when I get her out for a cuddle in the evening, anywhere from 8-10 pm. One night I didn't take her out for a cuddle, but stopped back by the house briefly to get clothes to go to a friend's house, it was about 1 am, and she was out. When I'm at home, though, she'll only come out of her igloo once I've turned off the lights and have been quiet for awhile. I've woken up early a few mornings, around 6-8 am, and she'll be awake then, too. Again, if she notices I'm up or if I turn on lights, though, she scampers into her igloo. :roll: Silly hedgie. :lol:

·
Registered
395 Posts
hedgehogs are most active at sun set and sun rise, but i primarily classified as nocturnal as they prefer darkness.

Some hedgies however will come out during the day

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have noticed that Sniffles is sometimes on the wheel during the day, but for the most part he seems to pretty much sleep all day.

Sniffles is the same as Lilly in the way that when I am home and awake...he is in his igloo. But 5-10 min after I slide into bed...I hear the wheel going. And if I wake in the night or in the early morning... I hear him going and then wonder if he ever stops. lol

Sniffles is still young though, and I take him out almost everynight for a cuddle. Things could change but I am not going to hold my breath...after all... he is a hedgie and I love him just how he is! :D

I am going to take Sniffles out of his cage right now for our evening cuddle.

:)

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Inky is definitely nocturnal. I would be very concerned if he started coming out during the day. That would be very unlike him...

·
Registered
124 Posts
For me, Bas will sneak out quietly and grab a kibble or two during the day when it is quiet in the house, or she is asleep all day. I have to wake her up at night, around 9 to run around for a couple of hours. In the morning, around 7, she will be running on her wheel and will pop out of it and wait to be lifted out (or standing up on the cage wires) for a last play before heading to bed.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I dont go to sleep some times until 2am (like tonight :p) and prick HATES the lights on. If they are on he will not come out of his bed. If its around noon though and a not so sunny day he will wake up and grab a little food if the lights not on and Im not making to much noise. Other wise he sleeps until around 3 am and runs for a few hours before going back to his bed around 7 or 8.

I have noticed that when I first got him he would jump when I was typing but now he isnt bothered by it so much.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Something I've wondered: breeders breed for hedgies that are more friendly, right? Have any tried to breed for hedgies that are awake more during the day? Not sure if that would even be realistically possible, but I'm curious if anyone's tried.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts