Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

So I have a friend who has 3 pet rats (2 hairless and all female) and we were thinking of planning a play date with my little girl and her rats. Can anyone tell me if they've had experience with their own hedgies interacting with rodents? Specifically rats?

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Can't say I've ever arranged a play date with other species, but I'd have to wonder what the benefit would be exactly. Hedgehogs are solitary creatures that don't crave the company of other hedgehogs let alone the company of other animals. I'd be worried about fights. I'm not sure who would get more hurt either. I would just hate for there to be any injuries for something that was completely avoidable.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I know some people feed their hedgies pinkies, and I've heard stories of them eating bigger mice too. I wouldn't just be worried about fights, I'd be worried at attempts at predation.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I agree with Nikki. I haven't been feeling my best and the other night Pepper was playing in her kiddie pool play pen. My cat, Tilly, always watches her but I had my back turned for a second and Tilly batted at Pepper- Tilly quickly learned the "look but don't touch" rule, with one poke. A rat doesn't have the sense to run away or escape and could get hurt.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the replies! Unfortunately I didn't get to see them before my friend and I planned the play date. Luckily it all went well and there were no fights. Beatrix kind of just ignored the rats and continued on her own hedgie business. It was kind of cute to see them together, somewhat interacting, and my friend was pretty excited about it, but I'm thinking I won't do it again. Although they got along just fine, the rats were pretty stressed out about coming over and then meeting (what I would imagine to them) a 'weird spiky rat' haha. They seemed to want to play with Beatrix and then get disappointed when they realized she wasn't so into it.

But again, thank you for all the replies and helping me come to the decision to not plan a play date for B again :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts