Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a very difficult time getting my hedgehog to eat. I got her at the beginning of the month, and she is about a year old. The breeder said she was 512g before transport (so mid April), and she has now dropped to just below 400g.

I have tried everything I can think of. Wetting her food, changing her food, giving her treats, etc. I gave her a few days to settle in before trying but she wouldn’t touch her food, so I started making changes. I’ve been syringe feeding her hills a/d, and every few days giving her a little less to try and get her to eat her actual food. She won’t touch it.

It’ll be a month on the 5th. I’m very concerned. We went to the vet and they couldn’t find anything physically wrong with her, checked her teeth, etc. A full workup will be costly so I am trying to avoid doing so.

The stool she does pass is small but otherwise normal. She drinks normally and wheels every night. She has slimmed down but is now maintaining on the hills (was previously doing ground kibble and wet food liquid). She seems active and lively and is the sweetest! But she won’t eat on her own. Like I said every three days or so I skip her last feeding to try and get her to eat. I am doing 3 feedings of 6-10 cc a day, basically as much as she’ll take in one sitting.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it might be stress or depression how big is her cage and what is she like during socializing time
Her cage is a 48 x 20 christmas tree tote. She is pretty active and playful. Other than not eating, she seems completely healthy. Her eyes are bright and her skin looks good and healthy. She's drinking and wheeling like I said.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Her cage is a 48 x 20 christmas tree tote. She is pretty active and playful. Other than not eating, she seems completely healthy. Her eyes are bright and her skin looks good and healthy. She's drinking and wheeling like I said.
I Honestly dont know maybe she just doesnt like the taste of her food or is a sucker for the syringe

1 - 6 of 6 Posts