Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I have an amazing hog, A.Ham, who is about 3 years old. She recently suffered a bit of a back injury and is not as rambunctious as she use to be. A.Ham is slowly getting her mobility back but has a hard time using her wheel. Does anyone have any suggestions to encourage A.Ham to move around a bit more that is not exercise wheel related? She lives in a large enclosure and spends roughly 5-6 hours free-roaming her room in the evening. A.Ham is not overly food motivated which seems to have foiled all of my other attempts.

·
Registered
18 Posts
A flying saucer allows a more natural curving of the spine during running to my knowledge. Also, it has to be large enough (ours is fifteen inches in diameter). But you may want to extend the time until she gets her wheel back because she might still have back pain and it may revert the healing process if she strains her back. You could let her run around in a safe area in your flat, maybe? I have seen hedgehogs playing with table tennis balls and toilet paper rolls in videos. You could hide interesting-smelling things in different spots if she's not so driven by food. But you can still try portioning her food and hiding it in several places too instead of putting it in her bowl. Give her a burrowing place, using ground paper or cut fleece or pompoms. These are my ideas for entertainment :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts