Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read that many hedgie parents often weigh out/keep track of food given and the weight of the hedgehog. I realize that this is pretty good information to give to a vet in order to understand a situation further if a visit is needed.

I was looking at this:

scale to weigh both a hedgie and perhaps when a measurement of tsp or tbs is not really accurate for food. Is this a good scale to invest in? Do any of you weigh your hedgie outside of vet visits?

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
That looks like a pretty good scale. I used to weigh Pig daily but now that I know his healthy range and fluctuations I just do it weekly to keep a general idea of his weight.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I'm not familiar with the brand or the model you have in mind, but it looks like it might be fine for both hedgie and food, depending on your needs.

"The scales Tare button automatically eliminates the weight of your container to calculate the net weight of your ingredients. The Precision Plus buttons provide and audible click confirmation when pushed so you never have to push twice. We believe you'll find it's a great asset in your diet, weight loss and glucose control goals by allowing you to quickly and accurately weigh up to 11 pounds (5kg) in graduations of 0.1 ounce or 1 gram. The Precision Plus automatically powers off after inactivity of 1minute and includes 2 AAA batteries"
The platform size looks okay for weighing both hedgie and food. The max weight is obviously plenty. It shuts off a bit quickly. That may not be a problem, but you may have to turn it back on sometimes. My scales allow the automatic shutdown to be programmed. The tare feature is important, especially if weighing multiple ingredients. One gram sensitivity may be okay in your case (?), but I prefer .1 gram sensitivity for foods. However, I am feeding several ingredients in her food mix and need greater accuracy for each. 1 gram accuracy won't work for us. It would be fine for other people. It's situational.

Video notes about the scale that I use for weighing Sophie.
(13:02)

The scale that I use to weigh Sophie is a Pelouze PS 20DL. I already had this scale when I got Sophie, and it works perfectly for weighing her. (Several years old; don't know if the model is still made.) It really isn't appropriate for weighing foods though. 2 gram sensitivity isn't good enough.

For foods, I got a My Weigh i300 from Old Will Knott Scales .com -- I love this scale.
(16:11) (About halfway through I prepare Sophie's early-night entrees.)

Sophie gets weighed every Monday afternoon, right before she goes back in the cage after together time. I do not believe in weighing daily unless there is a medical necessity. Day to day fluctuations are unimportant. My interest is in trends, for which a weekly weighing is ideal. I keep the data in an Excel log.

Her weight log has been very helpful. There was a period where she was not keeping weight on and her diet had to be adjusted accordingly. Without weekly data, I wouldn't have had a clue what was going on. Because I had trend data, I was able to immediately make small adjustments. She dropped 40 grams in a very short period of time. Most people wouldn't not see or sense that, or would guess about it for weeks.

Recently, she has been adding weight. That's fine, but her rate of gain has been a bit high. For this I was able to immediately increase her veggies. She still gets to eat all she wants, but isn't pounding down calories because of the dilution of energy density. I keep a separate Excel log for her daily food consumption.

BTW - Vets will take you way more seriously if you have better data logs than a zoo would keep. It can make the difference between their giving you decent answers to your questions (stock answers), or working hard to provide first-rate answers (because they know you will recognize BS).

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm really enjoying the fact that you link your YouTube videos as well. The weight and mixing foods and other information has been amazing.

I'm a very detail-oriented person and have always kept records on all of my pets. I just figured with so little research done on hedgies thus far that I really need to make sure, at least, that my situation is well documented. Thank you for not making me appear to be obsessive.

I also welcome your suggestions and direction.

·
Registered
234 Posts
SiouxzieKinz,

Thanks for the kind words. It is usually hard to know if things are useful or interesting to other people, of if I am just talking to myself. Ha!

Nope, you are not too obsessive. Maybe a lot of your records will never be used for anything. That would be good. But maybe they will someday provide crucial information. Logs are really good for identifying or proving trends. People that don't keep them are making a mistake, IMO.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts