Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so last night we had the hedgies out running around the couches and the dogs (as usual) were sitting on the floor wondering what we had and why they werent getting the attention. well my chihuahua jumped on the couch to check it out got poked and left then it was Laddie's turn (sheltie) he did the same along with the other 2 then we put Walle on the floor and the dogs started sniffing all at once and Walle was just walking around like nothing. the dogs were freaked! they all ran into the kitchen to hide from him. next was Eve's turn to bug the dogs. we put her on the floor and called the dogs in. i guess they learned their lesson because none of them even got close!! :lol: i guess the hedgies win that one!! our dogs are big wimps they are afraid of the bird :roll:

HEDGEHOGS WIN!!!!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
That's hillarious!!!!

My little pekingese girl learned quickly too! She now knows to keep a few inches away at least!

When I showed her my hedgie "Kiwi" she was very sweet and approached her very quietly and kept a distance of a few inches. She then tried to get a sniff and slightly poked her nose on the quills.

Now she doesn't run away from Kiwi anymore (did that for 2 weeks after) but she does keep more of a distance :)

They learn fast! hehe

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Just be careful... This topic is relatively controversial, however, it can take as little as one shove, one paw, one bite to fatally injure the hedgie.

And if it's a "loud" dog, might be enough to emotionally scare the hedgie as well.

If your dogs are calm and well behaved, supervised introduction through some sort of cage bar or play pen is much safer.

If you read through the "behavior expectations" sticky thread, there are many different view on putting together prey and predator animals.
http://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=13&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=30

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
my husband and i were both there with them, but our dogs wouldnt hurt anything! i understand your concern but trust me i wouldnt put them together unless i was 100% sure no one would get hurt. the hedgies dont spend much time with the dogs anyway. the hedgie cages are in a room where the dogs are not allowed and we have had the hedgies out before with the dogs we just didnt let them get that close we wanted to make sure that we didnt have any problems.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I recently had a Jack Russel as a visitor and She loved the hedgehog (and the mouse too, actually). This particular dog belongs to a friend of mine and she came over to keep me company while my boyfriend was out of town. She is very calm for a Jack and used to herd a pet hamster. In short she's a very gentle and loving dog who loves watching small animals play. When I got the hedgehog out for the night she didn't understand and then he unrolled. She loved that he was walking around but would not let me close the playpen off to her. Every time I tried she just whined until I opened it. He took absolutely no notice of her and she had a blast following him around. I was there the whole time watching but was sure that nothing would happen.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts