Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I just baught a large tub for my future hedgie. I was just sortof worried because it is bold blue color, not a clear tub... I have only seen people use clear ones so I was wondering if the one I have is O.K? Thanks!:)

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
People use the clear ones so more light can get into the cage. If you're going to use the colored one (especially if you use the lid with a section cut out for screening/ventilation), make sure you have a lamp right next to or over the cage so that your hedgehog gets 12-14 hours of good light.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
People use the clear ones so more light can get into the cage. If you're going to use the colored one (especially if you use the lid with a section cut out for screening/ventilation), make sure you have a lamp right next to or over the cage so that your hedgehog gets 12-14 hours of good light.
Do I need to have the lid on? The walls are pretty high...

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
It's usually considered best to have a lid on any cage for hedgehogs. Some are very good climbers, and even ones that have never shown a liking for climbing sometimes surprise their owners. Nancy has had a 6-week baby climb out of a bin that was empty except for food/water dishes. Having other things in the cage gives them the opportunity to get a boost, making it even easier. So yeah, I'd use some kind of lid - you don't have to use the bin lid, you could get some wire shelving that can be laid over the top, perhaps attached on one side or something.

Even with no lid, make sure you use a light on or very close to the cage to make sure hedgie gets enough light. :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds great! I have a lamp right by where the tub will be so he will get plenty of light. I am planning on the light schedule from 7 am to 9 pm. Does that sound ok?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts