Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've owned 2 hedgehogs in about 4 years or so. My newer one lives in a 110 L Steralite plastic bin. Recently I've noticed she hasn't been running around as often as usual. I want to build her a bigger C&C cage so she has more room to move. My problem is that it won't fit on the wall where she lives now, so I need to move her to my bedroom. My concern is that I usually keep my room about 60-70 degrees, fairly cool, but I know hedgehogs need to stay around 75 degrees. If i get a heat lamp, will the inside of the cage get cold as well or will the lamp keep it around 75? Also, what should I put in the bigger cage? She has a wheel, food dishes, water bowl, and igloo now. What types of toys and such should I put in? I want to use fleece and only keep bedding in her house, does anyone else do that? How does it work? Suggesting appreciated :D

·
Registered
347 Posts
Yes, I would say a CHE set up should keep her warm... but maybe she needs it a little warmer. Some hedgehogs prefer warmer temps, some prefer cooler.
I use cat toys that don't contain cat nip- jingle balls, stuffed dog toys, cut toilet paper tubes...

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
4 inch pvc pipes are fun, tunnels, like the crinkly one made for ferrets are cool too. My boy loves his. I have some empty oatmeal containers my guys seem to like, the cylindrical ones. I fill them up with fleece strips. My Penny goes NUTS for an empty cereal box. Be creative. Some like dig boxes. You can put aquarium rocks in a container or fleece and give them something to burrow in. Some people use carefresh or other types of bedding too. Just a little messier. If you use aquarium rocks make sure they are big enough that they can't be put into your hedgehogs mouth.

·
Registered
658 Posts
You can also use an empty gallon milk jug, or even a smaller one. Just be sure that if you cut anything to make a dig box, tunnel, etc, that you tape off any sharp corners :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts