Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was that time of the month again where my hedgehog starts to stink a bit so I had to give her a bath. After the bath I dried her off and then let her run around on her towel. She spend most of her time trying to dig and make a nest in the towel and after a few minutes I noticed that her paw was bleeding. I got it cleaned up and I found that her nail had split right in half. I cliped off the top part and left the bottom half of the nail on. Right now I really don't know what to do. Should I clip the bottom nail off or should I leave it on and is there any over the counter medication I can put on it? Do I need to take her to the vet? As of right now the only thing I am doing is giving her a daily foot bath.

·
Registered
47 Posts
It was that time of the month again where my hedgehog starts to stink a bit so I had to give her a bath. After the bath I dried her off and then let her run around on her towel. She spend most of her time trying to dig and make a nest in the towel and after a few minutes I noticed that her paw was bleeding. I got it cleaned up and I found that her nail had split right in half. I cliped off the top part and left the bottom half of the nail on. Right now I really don't know what to do. Should I clip the bottom nail off or should I leave it on and is there any over the counter medication I can put on it? Do I need to take her to the vet? As of right now the only thing I am doing is giving her a daily foot bath.
I've heard that if it's bleeding you can stick the nail in cornstarch.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you but this happened yesterday and it has stopped bleeding. I'm mainly concerned that it won't grow back right or it will get infected. Most of the nail has fallen off by now and the little bit that is left is bright red. (Almost neon red)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts