Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i want to get a play pen for my hedgehog and i want one like the on in this video
but before you see the videa BEWARE!!! its a video of a hedgehog with WHS and is HEART BREAKING i was crying my eyes out when i saw it....but i noticed it had a nice play pen so here it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qf92Stfx ... PL&index=3 if it hasnt came up with a link the could you copy and paced please :)

I was wondering if that was the same pen as this one herre???http://www.petsathome.com/find/keyword-is-critter+play+pen/product-is-14041#customerreviews What do you think? and i know the video is HORRIBLE! i feel sooo sorry for it but ive also got a quick question thats a little of play pens... what is WHS???

Thanks for anwsering x :D

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
YEY its came up with a link so dont worry and i know what WHS is now is wobbly hedgehog synrome :( its just soo sad! Thanks for any other anwsers!

·
Registered
594 Posts
That's the same play pen I have.
Mine came from Wal-Mart for like 10 bucks.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
The multi primary coloured playpens are usually only 9-10" tall. Many hedgehogs can easily climb over them and they are light enough that many hedgehogs can get their nose under and lift them up.

A better choice is the Midwest small pet playpen. http://www.petguys.com/-027773005030.html They are 15" tall so cannot be climbed and are heavy enough that they can't be lifted up. Target used to sell them. :)

·
Registered
594 Posts
That is very true!
One of my girl's take her like 2 seconds to climb it.
The other's don't even try.
I've started getting the long paper towel tube's and cutting them length wise and slipping them over the top of the pen and so far she hasn't got out with them in place.

So it really depends on if you got a climber. If your not sure if he/she is a climber I would go with the one Nancy suggested.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I made my hedgehog's playpen out of the same storage cubes that people make C&C cages out of. Here's a link about making them for guinea pigs (it's basically the same as making one for a hedgehog but you need to have enclosed levels or no levels at all for a hedgehog) http://www.guineapigcages.com/

Anyway we used zipties to connect about eight of those storage cube sides and then either clip them closed with carabiner clips or put the sides against a wall to block off an area of a room.

This way the size is flexible, it folds up nice and flat and is super easy to transport. He's never been able to climb out of it (not saying it isn't possible) and he can lift it up with his nose but not enough to get underneath. Also we are always supervising him when he is in the playpen so if he tries to escape we just stop him.

This works for us because of the flexible size and easy to transport. If you will not be able to constantly supervise your hedgehog while in the playpen I wouldn't recommend it.
[attachment=0:14hgq2n1]PlayPen Size Adjust .jpg[/attachment:14hgq2n1]

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hedgielover said:
I made my hedgehog's playpen out of the same storage cubes that people make C&C cages out of. Here's a link about making them for guinea pigs (it's basically the same as making one for a hedgehog but you need to have enclosed levels or no levels at all for a hedgehog) http://www.guineapigcages.com/

Anyway we used zipties to connect about eight of those storage cube sides and then either clip them closed with carabiner clips or put the sides against a wall to block off an area of a room.

This way the size is flexible, it folds up nice and flat and is super easy to transport. He's never been able to climb out of it (not saying it isn't possible) and he can lift it up with his nose but not enough to get underneath. Also we are always supervising him when he is in the playpen so if he tries to escape we just stop him.

This works for us because of the flexible size and easy to transport. If you will not be able to constantly supervise your hedgehog while in the playpen I wouldn't recommend it.
[attachment=0:1c5v2ckf]PlayPen Size Adjust .jpg[/attachment:1c5v2ckf]
ahhhh i never thought of that :D:D:D:D thanks! ill ive it ago!

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Yeah I really like it as a playpen but like I said it has to be supervised.

Here is a video of a hedgehog escaping from one.

I believe that Inky's owner is one these boards. :)

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have the taller 15" pen. I figured they can get out of the short pen.
That is so funny to watch Inky squeeze through...

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Yup, hey, that's me. :lol:

Once I discovered that Inky could squeeze all the way through (or worse, get stuck halfway) I quickly got a video and put them away. They're used for stacking mouse cages now. :roll:

If your hedgie is under 300 grams I would not use to cubes, unless you are putting a barrier up so the hedgie can't reach the actual grids.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Haha Inky the escape artist!
Yeah I got one of the multi-coloured pens but my hedgie really is an active guy and a climber. He is a true escape artist! He was in there and I was watching him; I look away for a minute and next thing I know he is halfway over! Of course I grabbed him, but I wanted to see what he would do being put back in. Well this time he nosed the little pin that clasps the pen together out and got out that way!
Needless to say I stopped using that pen and need to get a newer/better one since he is getting to be such a good climber lately haha.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
hedgielover said:
Yeah I really like it as a playpen but like I said it has to be supervised.

Here is a video of a hedgehog escaping from one.

I believe that Inky's owner is one these boards. :)
Isn't that play pen made from the same materials as a C&C cage?

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
silvercat said:
Isn't that play pen made from the same materials as a C&C cage?
Yup, which is why they need to be lined with coroplast at the bottom, so little hedgies like Inky can't escape like that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts