Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i bought a 9 week old female hedgie and i think she just turned 10 weeks today and when i was rinsing her feet off she peed (like normal) and it was half urine half blood is this normal for a 10 week old female hedgie?

Do i need to take her to the vet?

·
Registered
53 Posts
So i bought a 9 week old female hedgie and i think she just turned 10 weeks today and when i was rinsing her feet off she peed (like normal) and it was half urine half blood is this normal for a 10 week old female hedgie?

Do i need to take her to the vet?
Blood in the urine is not normal. It might be a urinary tract infection (UTI, see more information here- Hedgehog UTI Symptoms), or something else. Please see a vet

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Urine in the blood is not normal. It might be a urinary tract infection (UTI, see more information here- Hedgehog UTI Symptoms), or something else. Please see a vet
I Read somewhere that hedgehogs go through heat or something like it and when i got her she had JUST turned 9 weeks old so im pretty sure she is going through that right now cause all of her other pee spots look completely normal.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I Read somewhere that hedgehogs go through heat or something like it and when i got her she had JUST turned 9 weeks old so im pretty sure she is going through that right now cause all of her other pee spots look completely normal.
Hedgehogs do not go through "heat" or have periods like other female mammals might. If females are around male hedgehogs then their bodies produce the hormones that prepare them for pregnancy. Please read that article I listed and call a vet ASAP. Blood in urine is very serious.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hedgehogs do not go through "heat" or have periods like other female mammals might. If females are around male hedgehogs then their bodies produce the hormones that prepare them for pregnancy. Please read that article I listed and call a vet ASAP. Blood in urine is very serious.
We will get her checked out but everything else seems normal shes active running on her wheel, exploring, eating food, drinking water and what not but the urine was not like full blood it was normal pee with a slight haze of blood and it was just that one time, i have kept a close eye on her pee and its completely normal color wise, if it does help she is going through quilling right now, im thinking she just maybe pushed that pee out a little too hard but like i said we will keep a close eye and get her checked out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts