Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all;

I need a little help. I am new to Hedgehogs but I did a TON of research. But I have a question/concern.

I just got Helga on March 7th. She is just a baby. Not sure when she was born. I have her in a cadge in the corner on my living room. I have a Heat Lamp on her cage to keep the temp at 72. But all she does in her cage is sleep in a ball. When I get her out she runs around. What am I doing so wrong for her not to play in her cage? Right now I keep the light on all day. should I not do that? Maybe should i change to a space heater and not have so much light on her?

I know the temp is about 73 in her cage but why does she not play with her balls or wheel? Just concerned I am doing something wrong with her and I don't want to hurt my baby in any way. She is so cute.

Thanks for your help

Dianna

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
You'll want to switch to a ceramic heat emitter, not a heat lamp. A CHE will not radiate light. Keep the light schedule... lights should be on for 8-10 hours a day. Hedgies are nocturnal so you won't see them running about during the day too often.

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Babies sleep a lot, and will sleep for most of both day and night. :) Even when they're older, a vast majority of hedgehogs only get up and become active at night, when it's dark. So while she may run around when you have her out of her cage and away from her bed, it's perfectly normal for her to prefer to sleep when you put her back in. Do you have a wheel for her? Is she leaving any signs of use on that (poop!)? If you're not sure if she's running or not, and there's no poop, you can put a pinch of flour on it to see if it's been disturbed in the morning.

As for the heating lamp, is it a bulb that emits both heat and light? If it is, it's not the right kind - you want a ceramic heat emitter, a CHE. It gives off heat only, no light, and it can be on both day and night without disturbing the hedgehog (just make sure you have a thermostat to regulate it). If you have a red or black light bulb for her, that could be a reason she's not active too, if it's on at night - a lot of hedgehogs don't like that light. Do you have a thermometer in the cage that's telling you the temperatures? Definitely make sure the temperature doesn't go below 72 - that's the low end of acceptable temps for most hedgies. You could try bumping it up to 74-75 degrees and see if that makes her a bit more active too. She might not be cool enough to attempt hibernation, but enough that she doesn't want to leave her nice cozy bed.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
You can still use this kind of set up, but you're going to need to change some things. The lamp is on the small side - it's better to have the 10" so it spreads the heat out more evenly in the cage. This is the kind of bulb you want - http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... lInUS%2FNo Heat only, no light. It's found in the reptile section still. It'll be more expensive than the colored light/heat bulbs - CHEs are usually anywhere from $30-40. You also need to have a thermostat to use with the lamp and bulb, to keep the temperature steady in her cage, whatever happens to the room otherwise.

If you think it'll be too expensive to buy the correct parts of the CHE set up, you may want to just do a space heater. They work too, but CHEs tend to be more preferred since they heat the cage only. With a space heater, you have to be okay with whatever room she's in being 74-75*, which is too warm for most people. Space heaters also tend to use more energy, so a CHE set up can save money in the long run if you're paying for electricity.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so I got REALLY scared and ran to the store on lunch and got a space heater and a temp thing. I wont be home for about 5 hours, but as soon as I get home I am going to put the temp thing in and check that and then run the heater on low. I am going to shut the heat light thing I have off for a while.

I go to sleep as soon as I get home, but my husband is around for another hour. I will have him check the temp before he leaves and then turn the heat on a lower setting. I get up about 4 hours after that so we should be able to get the temp set kind of right or close to it.

I feel so bad, my family LOVES Helga and the thought of doing anything to hurt her kills me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts