Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. Our hedgehog, Quilliam, won’t eat the food we put in her cage anymore and isn’t going poop or pee. She is 2 and a half years old. A little over a month ago, she had teeth removed at the vet and switched from a cat food kibble diet to a liquid diet of a mixture called Carnivore Care. She was on pain medication for her teeth but still ate like normal. A few days after we stopped the pain meds, she began to not eat. Her breathing also became labored. Of course, we took her to the vet as soon as they had an opening. They took an x-ray on her and said they saw cloudiness in her lungs and possible gas in her G.I. Tract. So, they started her on two medications, one for her respiratory and one for her G.I. She still wasn’t eating and started to become weak. Along with the medicine each day, we began to syringe feed her. Gradually, her breathing began to return to normal. She still wasn’t eating and seemed lethargic, so we took her back to the vet. They were having a hard time pin-pointing what was wrong to us, so they prescribed her heart medicine. I haven’t noticed any changes in the 2 weeks she has been on the heart medicine, so I don’t think it is heart problems. We had a check up with the vet almost a week ago, and they said they didn’t know what else to do, and wanted to schedule an appointment to have her put down. This was hard for us to hear because we love her dearly and she still seemed to have life in her, she just wouldn’t eat anything. We decided to get a second opinion from a second vet. She also told us that Quilliam still seemed to have life in her. This vet thought that maybe she still was having pain in her mouth and prescribed her more of the same pain medication as before. We thought this made a lot of sense and thought maybe we had it figured out and she would go back to eating normal, but that was not the case. She hasn’t eaten on her own in almost 3 weeks, she’s only getting nutrition from us syringe feeding her. My question to anyone here that has ever had an experience similar to this is, was there any food or treat that enticed your hedgie into eating again? Or is there anything else you think we could try? Or any advice you have for us? We don’t want to have to put her down but we also don’t want her to suffer. Like I said earlier, she doesn’t seem like it’s her time to go. We love her so much and this is a very hard time. Any responses are appreciated, thank you so much.

·
Registered
Holly is a female African Pygmy Hedgehog. She weighs about 463g and was born May 28, 2019.
604 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear this. The pain meds for the mouth seem like a great start to me, I would suggest continuing to syringe feed her, and maybe over the next few weeks after she is feeling better with the pain meds she will start to eat again on her own? Maybe put some of her favorite treats in her food at night to see if she eats them? Sorry I don't have much more advice to offer, wishing you the best!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts