Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I brought my new hedgehog home on Saturday, but since them it seems like he hasn't drank anything. He has a water bottle and bowl; both seem untouched. Also seems like he hasn't been eating any of his food, though he's been pooping. Poop seems to be normal. He has the hedgehog food he was being fed on when we bought him.
He's about 11 weeks old. He's currently in a vivarium with a heat pad. Temp is around 72. He seems to prefer sleeping in the cooler part of the cage, though he'll burrow into his fleece on the side of the heat pad sometimes, like he's moving around to where it suits him at the time.

Also, he seems to sleep a lot. I wake him up around 10-11PM for an hour or two, but I've never seen him active apart from that. I know he's probably using his wheel because I had to clean it. I'm up pretty late (2-3am) and have never seen him awake unless I wake him up for handling.

Anything I should be worried about? The not drinking is concerning me. :(
Thank you!

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Can you weigh the bowl of water before/after to see if any is being drunk? You may need to encourage fluids by feeding super-wet foods (watermelon) or syringe-feeding water if he's seriously not drinking. Is he peeing normally? You could also count-kibble to see if he's eating or not.

Heat pads warm the floor but not the air, so he could be too cold. Apparently leaving the heat pad to cold-elsewhere can be enough to trigger hibernation, but I have no experience with that.

If you're awake with a light on at all, that could be keeping him asleep, but babies do sleep (and poop!) a LOT.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts