Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just keep having problems with Reggie. He runs in his wheel for hours a night! During this time I would assume that he is rubbing his nose up against the wheel and now he has a worn spot on his black nose. Should I be worried about this or is it going to get better as he runs. Or should I get him a different wheel. BTW I bought the biggest SILENT SPINNER that you can get.

THANK YOU!!! :?:

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
I've never heard of them running their nose raw on a wheel, but it's fairly common for those that are housed in aquariums.

·
Registered
241 Posts
One of my female, does that when I remove the wheel when she is pregnant. But only when I remove the wheel. She runs back and forth and sratchs her nose on the wall of the sorage box!!

·
Registered
581 Posts
I have heard many horror stories about the dangers of the silent spinner wheel (eg. toes/toenail caught/ripped off, falling with the hedgehog inside it...) but have never heard about nose injuries.....

·
Registered
912 Posts
How old is he? I ask because I've seen pics and read comments about hedgie noses sometimes lightening in color/turning pink as they age.

How big is he? Would his nose actually reach the side? My girl is 620g and is fairly long. She has an 11" bucket wheel where her nose comes close to hitting the inside running surface when she runs in that (I usually use a bigger specially made wheel for her, so it's not an issue for mine). But it makes me thing it's possible for the nose to rub while running. Though with the way a Silent Spinner is designed, I'd think there would be an abrasion - perhaps some blood. Is that what you see?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well he is in a C&C cage and is only 5 months old. So those two things are out. No bleeding or anything just a little spot that is miss colored in the middle of his nose. It doesn't hurt him cuz you can touch it and he doesn't care.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts