Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Cassandra is a wild European Hedgehog, rescued after a wild fire. She's very chill.
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone
Weeks ago I made a post about getting a new hedgehog, Baby, whom we saved from the road (similarly to my first hedgehog). Now I'm having some trouble.
Baby is still very young, I think she lost her mom. She has what seems to be a cold or a mild bronchitis, causing her to emit a squeaky sound and sneezing often. This aside, until today, she was perfectly fine. She ate regularly, pooped regularly, liked to snuggle, and explored around. The weather is very hot here, even us humans are having trouble with it (it's surely hotter than it was years ago, and a few °C hotter than when I found my first hedgehog Cassandra) but so far my hedgehogs have managed.

Now Baby is worrying me. Yesterday my mom fed her a new wet food which the other hedgehogs used to eat, and now Baby is making a weird sound, just like she is trying to swallow something. Today Baby ate again, and she made something like a "puking" motion, as if she couldn't eat; however, she did not puke and kept eating, so maybe she had just bitten more than she could chew. Now her belly is a bit swollen - though it wasn't before, so maybe it's just because she just ate.
She's a bit of a sleeper but just now I saw her get up and roam around for a while, I can see she's walking just fine.

I'm wondering if any of you knows what this could be. Any ideas?
Sadly, as I said in other posts as well, I live in a pretty isolated, rural area and there are no vets around, especially not the ones who would be skilled in hedgehog problems. So in short, I need to take care of these spiky guys on my own.

·
Registered
Cassandra is a wild European Hedgehog, rescued after a wild fire. She's very chill.
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update on Baby. These days she pooped very little, and her stomach is swollen and a bit hard (like, I can feel she's "full") but the colour seems the usual, just like my other hedgies.
A few minutes ago she was lying on the ground next to me and again she did that sound: she moves her mouth like she's chewing on something, and makes a sound a bit like chewing or loudly gulping/swallowing. She doesn't do this often, but I heard her do this several times. Other than this, she keeps doing her usual chirping, which I can't tell if it's because of a cold or maybe something else. She had a scar under her front-left arm when we found her, so I thought about a broken rib - however she walks perfectly fine it seems.

My mom and I tried several things: we fed her some egg (which we know makes hedgies poop easier), gave her some olive oil, bathed her with warm water. Now we're waiting for her to poop.

If anyone knows anything about what this could be, please tell me.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Update on Baby. These days she pooped very little, and her stomach is swollen and a bit hard (like, I can feel she's "full") but the colour seems the usual, just like my other hedgies.
A few minutes ago she was lying on the ground next to me and again she did that sound: she moves her mouth like she's chewing on something, and makes a sound a bit like chewing or loudly gulping/swallowing. She doesn't do this often, but I heard her do this several times. Other than this, she keeps doing her usual chirping, which I can't tell if it's because of a cold or maybe something else. She had a scar under her front-left arm when we found her, so I thought about a broken rib - however she walks perfectly fine it seems.

My mom and I tried several things: we fed her some egg (which we know makes hedgies poop easier), gave her some olive oil, bathed her with warm water. Now we're waiting for her to poop.

If anyone knows anything about what this could be, please tell me.
She needs to go to the vet asap. Hopefully she can get some diagnostic imaging done to see what's going on inside her body.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
She needs to go to the vet asap. Hopefully she can get some diagnostic imaging done to see what's going on inside her body.
Like I said, this is sadly impossible right now. There are just no vets in the place where I live.
I'm trying to find a solution.

In the meanwhile, there is some update.
The good news is, the swelling in her stomach has gone away - she poops and eats regularly and the stomach feels perfectly normal. Maybe she had just eaten a bit too much and I'm paranoid.
On the other hand, she's acting a bit weird again: until a few hours ago she was just running in her room, running on the tiled floor as usual; then, I checked on her and found her lying down, biting on her toy. We "wrestled" for the toy, I brought her food, and I noticed that she's having trouble walking. At first she was dragging her back legs, then she began walking better but sliding on each step, as if she wasn't stable. I got worried and though maybe it's WHS, but then I decided to try the scientific approach and brought her in my garden. As soon as I put her on the ground, she immediately started chasing me (she often does) and was running normally, in a perfectly straight line. I put her back on the floor, she slides. I put her in Cassandra's enclousure (wooden floor with training pads on top), she walks normally. Again on the floor, she slides. Again in the garden, she runs normally (and she pooped on my had as an extra).

So... is she just messing with me? Is she playing? Maybe her feet went numb because she was sleeping in some weird position?

EDIT: Scratch all of that. Five minutes later she started walking perfectly fine on the tiles as well. I don't know why or how, but she's just messing with me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts