Hedgehog Central banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
get one of those syringes that you would use to give a baby medicine. It should not have a needle in the tip! It will be blunt. Then look up the tutorials Nancy has mentioned, this is how we fed our girl her medicine. Make sure you monitor his eating for the next while too. Some times they don't want to eat and you will have to force feed him.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
get one of those syringes that you would use to give a baby medicine. It should not have a needle in the tip! It will be blunt. Then look up the tutorials Nancy has mentioned, this is how we fed our girl her medicine. Make sure you monitor his eating for the next while too. Some times they don't want to eat and you will have to force feed him.
OK thank you so much. I'm off to buy a a syringe from a pharmacy!
He's also eating his food and drinking water. He's just not a fan of fruits and vegetables apparently

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I got a new syringe and he just let's me put it right inside his mouth so that's pretty good. I also attempted scruffing him just to see if he would let me and he awesome about it

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Glad you got a safe syringe! Sorry I missed that you had one with a needle (which makes sense if you were injecting it into other foods). Did the vet only give you a needled syringe? Are you definitely supposed to be giving the meds orally and not injected? I can't imagine a vet sending home antibiotic injections, but I'm seriously confused that they would send you home with a needled syringe for oral antibiotics. :? As long as you're sure the meds are definitely oral, I'd continue with what you're doing, but definitely ask the vet about this next time you go. Anytime you get oral medication to give at home, the vet SHOULD send home a few oral syringes with you for giving those meds with. My vet always sent me home with at least a couple, and would give me more if I asked, with no charges.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Very good point Kelsey. I missed the point about maybe he wanted it injected into your hedgie, or perhaps he just wanted you to inject it into the food. Make sure you double check with your vet.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Thanks for looking our guys. Yeah the vet said I have to go it to him orally. And he said that if I have trouble with it, I can just inject into fruit. So yeah... :p

·
Registered
261 Posts
Good stuff! I would just continue to give it to him with the new syringe by mouth, that way you can be sure he is getting it all. You could try wrapping him up in a small towel like a burrito so you don't have to scruff him. Personally I have never been a fan of this method, although to be fair I don't know if it is harmful or not. This is just m opinion, not meant as a criticism !

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Oh no, I didn't feed him by scruffing. I'm just also randomly putting it out there that I attempted it.

He let's me just stick the syringe into his mouth while he's walking around lol

21 - 30 of 30 Posts