Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only had my hedgehog for 8 days now, but it seems that last night and today he's been making some weird noises.

It sounds like his stomach is grumbling like he has gas or something with a bit of random squeaking.

Also, when I went to give him a foot bath today, the noises he made sounded a bit different than the ones he usually gives.

Any idea on what I should do?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've only had my hedgehog for 8 days now, but it seems that last night and today he's been making some weird noises.

It sounds like his stomach is grumbling like he has gas or something with a bit of random squeaking.

Also, when I went to give him a foot bath today, the noises he made sounded a bit different than the ones he usually gives.

Any idea on what I should do?
I have attached a 12 second video of one of the many sounds he's currently making

https://www.mediafire.com/?2jmg94x1x8lxidx

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry for quadruple posting. I'm just super worried.

Last night he barely ran on his wheel as well

·
Registered
10 Posts
Our little guy never made a noise like that in our memory. How are his other behaviors, like eating, sleeping, and running? It doesn't sound like a pained squeak, but maybe more of a hiccup? I don't know.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Our little guy never made a noise like that in our memory. How are his other behaviors, like eating, sleeping, and running? It doesn't sound like a pained squeak, but maybe more of a hiccup? I don't know.
I was thinking that it was a hiccup but last night he didn't eat or drink or run on his wheel or anything.

I'm taking him to the vet tomorrow :(

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I'm taking him to the vet tomorrow at 10am.
I'm actually super scared that it'll be too late and that he won't get better.
Just wondering though, when I talked to the person on the phone, she said that their office charges 75 dollars for a visit and that they would have to sedate him. Does that sound right at all?

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
I would ask them to avoid sedating him unless he's being extremely uncooperative. They should be able to be patient enough to try and work with him a bit first. If he's being grumpy, the next step should be a bowl of warm water, before resorting to anesthesia, in my opinion. Good luck with the vet visit.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I went to the vet and when they found out that he was only 11 weeks, they didn't want to sedate him and he wasn't being to mean after the initial shock of being at the vet.

He's 285 grams and he has a URI. So they prescribed clavamox. I'm supposed to give him 0.06 every 12 hours. Does that sound about right?

And any knowledge on how to prevent future uri?

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Not sure about clavamox but every 12 hours (twice a day) for ten days sounds right for an antibiotic.

I'm glad you caught it and were able to get him all fixed up.

How is his heating? What type of bedding is he on? Did he get any water in his nose while bathing?

Water in the nose and hibernation attempts are often the causes of URI's.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not sure about clavamox but every 12 hours (twice a day) for ten days sounds right for an antibiotic.

I'm glad you caught it and were able to get him all fixed up.

How is his heating? What type of bedding is he on? Did he get any water in his nose while bathing?

Water in the nose and hibernation attempts are often the causes of URI's.
Yeah, I was looking it up as he was talking about it and it's apparently just as fine as baytril.

His heating is pretty good, so far it's a space heater set to 77 but I ordered Che for him. His bedding is currently care fresh but I also ordered fleece for him.
I believe he may have gotten water in his nose when I first bathed him so I'm going to now fill up a little bit of the sink and then put a shirt in it so the shirt soaks up the water and only his feet get cleaned.

The vet said he probably got it from the place I got him from though.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Lol FML. He won't eat any fruit or vegetable I give him whether it's injected with medicine or not. Any ideas :/

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Oh! and I happened to accidentally inject my index finger with clavamox lmao so if someone could tell me how to give my hedgehog his antibiotics before i turn into hedgeman, that'd be great :p

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Triple post! Sorry!
So I figured out that if I just pour drops of his .06 of his medication on his nose, he licks it off and then puts his tongue back in his mouth. So does that count? :p

·
Administrator
3,616 Posts
I wouldn't put it in his nose. My fear is he could aspirate it. Then, you could end up dealing with aspiration pneumonia instead of a minor URI.

How are you trying to give it to him? Hedgehogs have a lot of very sensitive hairs around their mouths. If you are trying to put the syringe in head on, he will notice and react. Try putting the syringe in at te back corner of his mouth. There are a few videos on here of people syringing medication. Do a search and I'm certain you can find one of them.

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Check the Syringing tutorial sticky that's in the Health FAQs section, that has a video someone made of giving her hedgie meds. Also, instead of injecting the meds into food, if he's having trouble because of the taste, get some chicken or turkey baby food. Suck up the medicine first, so you have the right amount, then suck up some baby food (you might need to water it just a tad to make it easier, the meat baby foods are thicker). Shake or tap the syringe lightly to mix them together, then try syringing.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My only issue with putting the syringe directly in his mouth is that the syringe is super sharp and I'm worried that he'll freak out and cut his mouth open

1 - 20 of 30 Posts