Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I'm a hedgehog parent to a 5 year old so far healthy male hedgehog.
A week ago I traveled with my hedgie to stay with a friend over the holidays and as expected with hedgehogs he hasn't been as active due to settling down in the new environment. But now it's been a week and my baby has barely gone to the litter box and sleeps way too much unless I wake him up for some water and food, but he immediately falls back asleep and I'm becoming so worried. He has only peed and popped 2 times in the 7 days and he has not finished more than 30g good either.

Has any of you had experience with your hedgehog taking this long to settle down or should I be worried and take him to the vet?

The environment is properly warm, he's not cold and his cage hygiene is good.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Definitely take him to the vet. They'll be much better equipped to figure out and diagnose what's going on with your little guy far better than we can. Not eating/defecating and lethargy is always worth a trip to the vet, it could be anything from just stress to symptoms of a bigger issue or illness.
Best of luck to you and your little guy, hope everything works out okay.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you guys. I went home with my fellow and to the vet with him and he was all fine, no constipation or sickness, just stress from the travel apparently. Now that we're back home he's eating, drinking and passing stool just like normal, I guess he really just didn't like the environment change at my friends house. He's an elderly hedgehog afterall.
Hedgehog Erinaceidae Domesticated hedgehog Animal feed Tableware

1 - 6 of 6 Posts