Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can a hedgehog use the hamster tubes and cages as long as their are no wire bottoms or are the too large for the tubes?

Also, where do you buy the coroplast? I am currently using Aspen shavings?
Thanks,

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
No, hamster cages and tubes are way too small for hedgehogs. Here is a link to the cage setup thread: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1860
You can buy it at Lowe's and/or Home Depot, sometimes you need to ask for corrugated plastic instead of coroplast. Also, you might want to switch to fleece liners instead of shavings, they are easy to clean and do not cause respiratory problems.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Fleece is sold at all fabric stores. You can buy a few yards and cut peices to fit the size of your cage, there should be a couple of layers of fleece for a liner. You should sew the two pieces of fleece together to make the "liner."

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. Gia, my hedgehog, is currently living in the aquarium she came with. Someone suggest a different cage. What type of cage...most cages I have seen have wire bottoms. How big? I would have no idea how to build a loft. Wish I could just buy one ready made.
Thank you

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Ferret Nation cages are great cages. You can buy one online at Walmart, but they do not have them in the stores. Also, here is another cage that would work if you remove the wire bottom, you can get the large or X-large[preferred]: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... oduct+Type
Again, you do not need a loft, some hedgehogs won't even use them.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
The second one [$50 one] would be best. Can you email the seller and ask for the dimensions of the cage and post them here when you find out?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Send and email for dimensions.

I also found this one:
Rabbit/Guinea Pig cage on wheels
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Large cage on wheels. 32" long x 21" tall (just the cage part, not the legs), x 22" deep.
good condition. solid floor with slide out trays. doors on top, front and both sides.
no photo available. $30 firm. Also have one that is a little smaller and is newer. $40 firm.
must pick up. serious replies only! no spam!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Terry said:
Also found this on CL for $50
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... n=Pet+Type

Which one would be best?
Thank you so much.
I would say this one, though it's hard to tell without the dimensions. Keep in mind that if you want your hoggie to have a second level, you'll have to carefully ramp them in. Hedgies aren't great with heights and can fall off very easily and greatly injure themselves. A lot of them don't care for second levels, either. Best to have a long, low cage.

Kudos for being such a caring new owner :)

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Terry said:
Send and email for dimensions.

I also found this one:
Rabbit/Guinea Pig cage on wheels

Large cage on wheels. 32" long x 21" tall (just the cage part, not the legs), x 22" deep.
good condition. solid floor with slide out trays. doors on top, front and both sides.
no photo available. $30 firm. Also have one that is a little smaller and is newer. $40 firm.
must pick up. serious replies only! no spam!
Is there a picture available? Your new cage needs to be *at least* 2ftx2ft, so this cage described above is a little to small.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Large:
Dimensions: 40" L x 22" W x 37" H on stand.
The cage is 20" tall and the legs are 17" tall.
Color: White w/ Green Frame and pan
Prevue item: #520

X-Large:
Dimensions: 47" L x 22" W x 37" H
The cage is 20" tall and the legs are 17" tall.
Color: White w/ Light Blue Frame and pan
Prevue item: #620

Cage owner said it was the EX-Large ...but both are the same 22" wide.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Are there any pictures of the cage in the ad, can the owner email you some?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The link was the link in the post. She said her cage looked exactly like the cage in the link. The link looked like the one you sent me.
Below is the copied and pasted ad:

Small Pet Cage----$50.00
Date: 2010-07-07, 2:11PM

I have a small animal cage for sale. I currently have Chinchillas in but here is the link if u want to see a pic........
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... n=Pet+Type

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I see what you mean. I just wanted to check and see if it was really dirty, the bars were chewed on, the locks worked, etc. :)

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Oops, I never actually said to buy it, thanks nikki, I overlooked the thing Terry needed to know the most. :roll: :lol:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts