Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I recently got a hedgehog in the last 10 months or so, (I'm a first time owner) so she's around a year old. A few months ago, the petstore I got her from gave me a new diet after I ran out of her old food, I fed her that for a few months until I noticed she began being a lot less active and wasn't using her stairs (she has a 2 floor enclosure with food on second floor). I moved her food and water down but then a few weeks after I had a trip for 2 weeks where I left her with my family. When I came back, I decided to wash her when I noticed she had badly inflammated legs, one front and one back. Long story short, after a trip to the vet I found out her diet had been very bad and her circulation had been badly affected by that and her bones were now weak. Obviously I immediately corrected it and got her medicine prescribed by said vet (supplements, and painkillers) and fed them for a month or so. Since then she has gotten somewhat better (more active, friendly, and for one point she was running on a wheel I got her) but now she's a bit less active and throughout all that, her legs haven't gotten visibly better. I'm keeping her diet as healthy as possible but the vet said she might not heal fully, are there any options for strengthening her bones beyond just regular meals? I'm not quite sure what supplements would be ideal or what diet is best. Any help is appreciated since I want her to be the active hedgehog she once was. One weird thing I've noticed is she sometimes "uses" the wheel but keeps 1 leg on the ground while pushing with the rest. Sorry for the long message but I wanted to fully explain everything. She is super friendly to me (doesn't like being on her back but hasn't bit me or spiked up in months)

1 - 1 of 1 Posts