Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so my hedgehog is a male and is approximately about a year and 8 months old. About 1 month ago, he started presenting corneal edima in his right eye. I took him to the vet immediately and was given a medicine to apply directly to his eye. His eye has turned completely blue and sunken in, and the area around his eye is inflamed. You can no longer see the pupil strongly.

I was told to continue this medicine for the last 4 weeks EVERY 8 HOURS. I did this, and now... today, a month later, the exact same thing is happening to his left eye. It is turning blue and sinking inwards. Glossed over, sinking inwards, and completely blueish-white.

WHAT is happening to my hedgehog??

Here's what his living situation is:

2 ft x 3 ft cage,
paper pellet bedding (back 2 nature),
Hedgehog Complete food by Exotic Nutrition,
previously was on cat food up until 3 weeks ago, was recommended to switch over because he is overweight,
eats live mealworms, crickets, and dubia roaches as well,
lives by himself,
very active,
no skin issues other than some build up on his ears,
no health problems up until now,

...why is this happening to his eyes??!
ANY ideas what this is at all? because the medicine the vet gave is obviously doing nothing. Attaching a picture:

FullSizeRender.jpg

please help :(

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I told him the medicine was not working and he told me to continue it for a few more weeks before I give up on it because it was the only thing that could treat it. He told me if the medicine didn't work there was "nothing else he could do." This just happened today with his other eye and no vet was available to see him. I'm thinking I'm going to try to find another vet tomorrow instead of going back to the same one because obviously that vet is missing something.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts