Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
If your hedgie hasn't been pooping, is producing smaller than normal pooplets, or appears to be straining to poop.

First line of treatment, making sure hedgie has access to water and giving a little bit of unseasoned pumpkin.

If there's no poop whatsoever, another problem (a worse problem) is an intestinal blockage.

What's going on with your hedgie currently?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I think this is the problem! There is a little less poopage with ah umm log size I guess we could say. And he does strain to get it out crying as he does so.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Crying and straining = not good. Could just be major constipation or it could be a blockage...has your hedgie eaten anything he shouldn't have lately?

I would call your vet...asap.

In the mean time... unseasoned pumpkin (can buy in a can at your local grocery store), mix it with some water and start syringing.

EDIT: syringe by mouth...not else where...believe it or not people often do syringe elsewhere when their pets are constipated...

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
A warm bath will also help temporarily alleviate the symptoms and helps get bowels moving.

Just a question... Is he drinking from a water bottle or from a bowl? And how much has he been drinking?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Immortalia said:
A warm bath will also help temporarily alleviate the symptoms and helps get bowels moving.

Just a question... Is he drinking from a water bottle or from a bowl? And how much has he been drinking?
He drinks from a bowl but that has always been that way and his food has not changed either. I will try the pumpkin and a warm bath.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Poor little guy. Let us know how the bath and pumpkin goes!

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
If you plan to syringe it (which is usually the easiest way to get it into them), you'll probably need to mix it with a bit of water to make it go through the syringe more easily. Pumpkin's pretty thick, even pureed. Make sure you try shooting it through the syringe into a bowl first so you don't have it get stuck while giving it to hedgie and accidentally shoot a bunch into his mouth at once!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don't know how to make a new post but my hedgehog is constipated. He drank all of his water when i left for the weekend and is dehydrated because of it and I don't know if there is a blockage or what!!! I am super worried and don't know if he has a blockage or not! Please tell me how I can know if it's a blockage or just constipation and how to fix it!

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Perhaps a Moderator can move your question to a separate post, but in the meantime: Have you given him fresh water since you've been home? If not, you need to get fluids in him ASAP, as their health can decline very quickly without water and food. Do you have a syringe or an eye dropper you can use to give him water by hand?

Is he not pooping and that's why you think he's constipated, or is there another reason?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I gave him an entire bottle the moment I saw he didn't have any and he drank some when I put it in front of him. He's straining whenever he goes to try and poop and thats why I think he's constipated and I know that dehydration can cause constipation too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got my little Jenks on Monday. He seems fine until I had him out of his cage this evening and he pooped with some bloody discharge and very hard pooplets. Then he ran around like nothing happened. He's about 12 weeks old. Our vets here are very inexperienced and of course closed for the weekend. What should I do?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts