Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I'm awake till 6am (Dont ask why) and after Obie wakes up and drinks and eats for a while she always chills behind the wheel, always with her face against the wall. (This corner is also her pooping corner). She does this every single night and I have no idea why. Its always super dark in my room (except for the light off of my laptop, which I dim as much as possible), and the picture was taken at 6am, with the lamp on only for the photo.

I'm pretty sure she is not pooping, I've tried leaving the room and taking my laptop elsewhere and when I check on her she still does that. Its... weird... Is this normal?

EDIT: I know the cage looks small, I'm planning on buying a tub identical to that one and hooking them both up via PVC pipe.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Quite a few people have reported that if they surveil their hedgehog, they'll find it goes running around like crazy, only to suddenly stop and stare at ...nothing. A solid wall, empty space, just effectively nothing at all.

We also know that many hedgehogs are total creatures of pattern (mine will do the exact same running-loop every time I put him back in his cage), so it sounds like yours has just managed to incorporate the random staring into the fixed pattern.

aka: hilarious, kinda creepy-adorable, but I don't think it's something to worry about.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Agreed! We have a security cam set up on hedgie cage and boy are they weird! Haha! I've seen my Henry super hyper (running from place to place in the cage, spastic and frantic movement from wheel to food back and forth over and over, etc) and I've also seen him stop and stare at nothing for so long that I thought the camera was frozen! I've also noticed he likes to just chill out behind his wheel where he does all his business. Strange...but normal for him.

They are so active at night it was hard to believe the things Henry was doing when we first installed the camera.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
160 Posts
A Triteful Peculiar

Dakarai will take almost a "test run" when he first wakes up and then does the same thing your quilled friend does. He will go into the corner (the smallest space between the front wall and the wheel - the space at the back of the cage is bigger but he loves shoving himself in here instead) and then he will simply sit there - occasionally he has fallen asleep here.

I've had him now for about three weeks and almost every night - except the first couple - he has been doing the same thing. I don't think your hedgie is odd just a bit peculiar as are the rest of 'em. Gotta love their personalities don't ya?! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.