Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok hedgehogs are nocturnal, right? or do they just say diurnal below because they are woken up in the day alot,being in captivity, and play with their owners?
This waz on HHC

Besides having a peaceful and humorous nature, hedgehogs readily lend themselves to just about anyone's lifestyle and schedule. Being diurnal (awake parts of both day and night) just like house cats, nearly everyone can find a time of day in which to enjoy them. They do not require a great deal of room in which to live and their dietary requirements are very easy to meet and, since they are solitary animals by nature they neither require nor want the companionship of another animal.
:?: :?
Heres the link:
http://www.hedgehogcentral.com/introduction.shtml

·
Registered
395 Posts
the meaning of diurnal used there is not the same usage as is defined by wikipedia.

It's usuage on that page means it is awake both during the day and during the night, and it can change much like a cats. Hedgehogs in the wild are nocturnal, but in captivity they can become more "wikipedia diurnal" and less nocturnal. Many hedgehogs will be active from sunset until after sunrise, but some may actually enjoy the light and be out during the day.

It's usage on that page is that it can be awake both day or night.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh thanx, jw, cuz i always hear that theyre nocturnal, but i mean at first glance, it sounds like theyre just diurnal, not nocturnal!, srry newbie lol :roll: :oops:

·
Registered
97 Posts
There was a lengthy but extremely interesting thread in the old forum about this subject. According to the thread, hedgehogs are neither true nocturnal or diurnal, but rather "crepuscular" like bears, moose, and other animals that are active during twilight as well as under bright moonlight.

Based on the observations on our hedgie and what I've learned from other hedgie caregivers over the past 3+ years, this rings true to me.

I too find the passage mentioned above rather confusing/misleading. I'd like to see it clarified so that people who are considering to get a hedgehog as well as novice hedgehog owners will not think it's okay to keep their hedgehog awake for hours at a time under broad daylight in order to accommodate human life style.:)

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
To say hedgehogs are diurnal is deceiving as the majority of pet hedgehogs will not get up on their own during they day. Some are ok when gotten up but they certainly are not like cats. I don't agree they lend themselves to everyone's life style.

I think the term nocturnal is used because it best describes hedgehogs in a term everyone is familiar with. Saying crepuscular to the average person and you are met with blank stares as it is not a commonly used or understood word.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
srry i get ancy, but since im new i can see how other new owners would see it

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Well....If you compare that to a cat or a dog...Even Chinchillas and sugargliders need just as much, if not more space than that, including all the extra height. Ferrets need extra space as well.

So I don't think hedgehogs take up that much space. But if you must pick through everything, I'm sure there are lots of things in there you'll find that you may or may not agree with.

·
Registered
395 Posts
and it says

[quote:2pix46jc]they dont require alot of space
, for a hedgehog 2ft minimum of floor space!!!!!!! but maybe it just seems like alot............ :?[/quote:2pix46jc]

lol, a lot of stuff written there is relative.
Relative to a dog, a hedgehog does not take up much space
Relative to a hamster, it does. Relative to a bird it does.

But relative to a horse... not very much space at all. I wouldn't count 2 square feet as a lot. If you are of average height put your feet end to end three time, turn 90 degrees and put your feet heel to toe 1.5 times, that will give you approx a 2 foot square box. In a 10 by 10 foot room, that is really not much space, 2% of total space, and it can be placed ontop of something.

in a 15x20 room thats a .66% of the total room, and can be placed ontop of something.

That is also the bare minimum a hedgehog needs. As you may find that is quite a small area to fit all his belongings. Technically it should be more like 2 square feet not including the sapce taken up by his toys (so about 4 square feet total)

and it says

[quote:2pix46jc]since they are solitary animals by nature they neither require nor want the companionship of another animal.
but i read hedhogs can have companions[/quote:2pix46jc]

about the not wanting companionship it is true. Two males will often fight, and two females "MAY" put up with each other. Also there are the rare circumstances where two males can be housed together properly after a display of dominance, but that is the minority and should not be counted on. Unlike a degu, hedgehogs will not live a shorter life if they do not have a companion. (a MALE and FEMALE should never be housed together except for mating, and only breed after you have A LOT of experience with hedgehogs.)

·
Registered
395 Posts
srry i get ancy, but since im new i can see how other new owners would see it
It is not good practice to edit your post when you find your information, because if soemone else comes around looking for that information it will now be missing. If you want to edit your post after someone else has posted and want to avoid double posting do not change the original post, just put

Edit: blah blah blah
Edit2: blah blah more blah

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
XD I need to learn to start quoting lol So I don't look weird and random. ^_^

Well....I already know I'm weird...well...and random sometimes... >.> ........ <.< ....... *sighs* XD

1 - 10 of 10 Posts