Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, while giving him a bath I recently discovered under my hedgehogs front leg and also on his chest is what appears to be scratches/bite marks. I'm a bit concerned but it does not seem to be bothering him and he has been acting no different than normal, so I haven't taken him to get looked at yet. I attached a picture (not the greatest but he wouldn't sit still). Can anyone tell me if they've seen or heard of anything similar? He's also almost a year old and I have had him for about 9 months if that matters.

·
Registered
Holly is 3 years old. Super cuddly with me but huffy with others.
2,011 Posts
I have seen something that looks the same, and it was the hedgehog biting themselves, um like self harm can't think of the term:unsure:
Might not be that but that's what I saw those marks linked with before.

You really should get to a vet to get them checked and make sure they won't get infected and they are more likely to know what the cause is as I am not a vet at all.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I would suggest you take him to the vet to see what this is. You said he doesn't seem to be bothered by it, but if he is scratching himself, it is probably hurting or annoying him.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, Have been having health issues now resolved with our little guy. During them he was pulling on his fur under his neck and biting himself. The vet told me this behaviour is seen when something is bothering them physically. In our case he had 2 infections. They cannot reach parts of their bodies like a dog or cat so they exhibit this behaviour. I agree with the above post get him to a vet. I recommend taking urine and feces samples. If the hedgehog does not cooperate during the exam those can be tested. We had to have ours cultured in order for the 2 infections to be identified. Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts