Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got a new hedge hog. ( I got my first one a year ago) The new hedgehog, Chompy, came from a little girl who was too young to really know how to take care of him. Her mother knows me and knows I have a hedgehog so I said I would take care of him and try to get him better used to people. They were not sure of age so I have no idea how old he is.

When I first brought him home he was hissing and huffing constantly which was expected. I didnt hold him or try to the first night. The next day I held him in a towel to see how he would react. He constantly hissed and bit the towel. Literally non-stop!!! Then I watched a video on youtube and read a little more on here. It said to just hold him in you hands to see how he reacted. So I did, and he was perfectly fine. so I let him run around on my lap a little bit. when I picked him up again, he bit my finger as hard as he could. Then curled all the way into a ball and was biting his quills. Which I found odd. Is it possible he has some kind of nervous spot like a cat? I've never read anything similar to it. Also any tips on making him more friendly would be great!!! (Torwards people in general not just me) Thank you!!! :)

·
Registered
179 Posts
He sounds like he's just scared :( If his quills aren't scaring you away, biting you might! I'd say leaving stuff with your smell in his cage will help calm him down(teeshirts that smell like you that he can snuggle into ) that way you are associated with a safe place. Leaving a radio playing in the room (not blaring-but it doesnt have to be next to mute) should help him get used to noise aswell.
And otherwise just keep handling him, and try not to put him down when he bites or he'll learn to do it when he wants to be left alone :lol:

One of mine bites and I figure he always will, it's not vicious and he knows not to bite me, but he'll bite if he thinks there is a chance of food, or if someone puts fingers in his face, they normally lick before they bite so you can avoid it that way
But he also chews his quills. He's done it since he was a baby, he sucks them too, I think it's a comfort thing, but it never seemed to cause any adverse effects so I never worried to much about it

Hope this helps a little !
Also love the name :lol:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much!!!! Im not really afraid but I was a little worried. This was really helpful!!! Oh and my mom named him because he chomped down on my finger the first time I held him :lol: lol

1 - 3 of 3 Posts