Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I gave him his regular bath with aveno baby shampoo then used the same baby oil ive been using forever and I put him back in his cage. I noticed he is biting himself under one of his arms and it has become really red. What is causing this and how can I stop him from biting himself?

·
Registered
179 Posts
I don't know what would be causing that other than irritation? If he wont leave it alone you could try putting a cream on it-could try Vaseline as it's harmless to most things and it might discourage him from chewing at it :/

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
It sounds like he's itchy, in which case putting vaseline wouldn't do much good. Do you notice anything else there? Like a rash or anything? I'm not too sure about what you can put to soothe the itchiness, but I'm sure someone can help you with that soon :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried giving him another bath but this time an oatmeal bath. He is still chewing on it and I can already see a layer of skin gone =(
Im not sure how to stop him. Im getting really worried

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Baby oil is actually more drying than any other oils. It will dry out the skin more.

Will he allow himself to be distracted by other things? If not, I would give your vet a call and ask them for advice. I'd be tempted to use a antihistamine to see if the itching stops, but I don't know hedgie dosage. Until then, try to keep distracting him.
Normally, if it was a surface skin issue, another bath tends to calm them.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I went to the vet today to see what is going on and they werent able to figure out what is going on. I was given a liquid band aid to seal up his wound but he is starting to chew the other side of his chest/armpit. We checked for mites and nothing came up but I got medicine to slow down his irritation.

I havent changed anything in timing of his schedule nor nor detergent and I checked his ears and they are all clean also nothing poking at him either.
The only thing I added new was replaced his old toilet paper roll with a new one and instead of washing him in the bath tub I used the sink instead.
Not if he is allergic to the sink I cant think of anything of why he would be doing this.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts