Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got two hedgehogs about a week ago. Petunia is 2 and is the mother of Poppy who is 1. Everything was okay for the first couple of days, I could tell they were a little bit stressed from the move to my house but that was to be expected. The lady I bought them from had them for about a 9 months but was unable to keep them any longer.

I have noticed Poppy biting the quills close to Petunia's quill skirt. I originally thought that it was just Poppy trying to nurse on her mom still, because their previous owner informed me that she liked to curl up underneath her like she did when she was a baby and basically try to nurse. She said this was harmless and wasn't an issue. It wasn't until today that I realized that it was aggressive behavior. I am currently planning on making another cage out of a large bin type tuperware container for one of them. I'm hoping that I only have to keep them separated temporarily, because they have lived together just fine for so long. I'm hoping that it is the stress of the move that is causing this behavior in Poppy. I am going to try putting one of them in the other cage for a week and keep them separate for the whole time. After a week, I'll try to take them both out of their cage together and let them be around each other during play time before I try to reintroduce them into the same cage again.

Please let me know if you have any tips or suggestions for my situation. I have no idea what else to do.

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Honestly, I vote for keeping them separated. Hedgehogs are solitary animals. They don't need & usually don't want the company of another hedgehog. Having them housed together means there's a pretty decent chance of having aggressive behaviors like what Poppy is showing. While it may only be due to the stress, it would not be smart, IMO, to take the risk of keeping them together. They'll be just fine on their own, with their own space, and you won't have to worry about anyone ending up hurt. It's also easier to monitor health when they're housed on their own since you can see how much they're eating & keep an eye on pee & poop. That all said, supervised shared playtime between females is fine, as long as you're not seeing continued aggression. But I just don't think there are nearly enough potential benefits from shared housing to outweigh the potential risks.

·
Premium Member
8,486 Posts
Keeping them together or putting them back together is only risking one of them getting hurt or killed. There have been many cases where two females that have been living together with no problems sudden start fighting. Unfortunately they seem to end up doing it at night when no one is there to stop it. Putting them back together is just asking for trouble now that you have seen aggression between them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.