Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
It depends on what is easier for you, most people use cage liners as obviously you can re use them so in the long run it works out cheaper and there is less mess, others (like me) stick to wood shavings (aspen) i find it easier just to dump the bedding when i do a clean out and replace it with fresh stuff. I also think its more natural looking so i prefer it.

There is no one answer really, its just whatever you would rather and will find easier to use it wont make much of a difference to your hedgie.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Hi Brandon,

I use liners. I find them easier than shavings, since they don't get all over the floor and don't get stuck in my hedgehogs quills. They have many other benefits as well, they don't create dust or harbor mites, they are attractive, it's easy to see if there is anything wrong with any poops and they re inexpensive.

If you have access to a washing machine, I feel like liners are the best option.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I use liners also that are made out of antipill fleece and cotton. They are very easy to clean and I always add 1/2 cup of vinegar to remove any smells.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Most of us that have been into hedgies for any amount of time, use textile liners, snuggle sax and lap pads. Wood shavings can cause respiratory infections and the males can get pieces of the shavings caught in their penile sheath which results in a hefty vet bill. The liners are less messy than shavings, too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts