Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today i brought my baby home and i am already in love with him, my problem is that its 1am and he still hasn't come out? he was exploring earlier (when i wasn't here to see it of course) but now its actually dark there's not a peep
I was wondering if this is normal behavior? I was expecting him to be shy but since he was already exploring and happy in my lap during the day i would of expected some movement.
Is it possible he's just knackered after the stress of travel?
I know it's only the first night but i'm just making sure!

on a second note, i think my other post about this is being moderated but i was wondering if the heating could be an issue? I've only managed to get it up to 20oC and hes not sleeping on his heat pad, but for a week or so i have to leave it at only 20. Could this be effecting him or am i worrying way too much? :-?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Babies can sleep up to 23 hours a day. They will grow out of but let him rest since its a new environment and he probably feels safe in its igloo, snuggle bag or wherever he sleeps. I would start socializing with him on the second day at a specific time and you can make a routine out of it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Babies can sleep up to 23 hours a day. They will grow out of but let him rest since its a new environment and he probably feels safe in its igloo, snuggle bag or wherever he sleeps. I would start socializing with him on the second day at a specific time and you can make a routine out of it.
Ooh ok, thank you! :)

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
It's highly typical for a hedgehog to hide his or her first night in a new home. It's a scary world out there!

And, babies can sleep a LOT.
And, if he was up travelling or exploring with you during the daytime, he missed out on his usual beauty-sleep and is probably all tuckered out. (Try to interact with him on his schedule, either early mornings or evenings & nights, not mid-day.)

20C is at the very lower end of safe temperatures for hedgehogs. That could absolutely be an issue! Do check that your little friend's belly is warm, not cool. If you find he's cool, warm him up with your body heat (don't dunk him in water!) and read up on hibernation attempts. Being too cool can sometimes result to a reduced appetite, reduced activity, and sometimes even wobbly-walking, even if not a full-on hibernation attempt.

Heating pads are problematic because they only heat the ground, not the air. This means that thermostat-controlling is difficult (leading to way-too-hot pads and burnt feet if the probe isn't on the pad), and that the air is still cold (which can lead to hibernation attempts). Can you find a way to heat the air, either using a space heater or thermostat-controlled ceramic heat emitters (CHEs)?

...moderation can be a bit strange on this site. I get lots in moderation-land fairly frequently. I don't think it's easy for the moderators to tell when something is held as it's visible to them (and not to the rest of us). We also don't have many moderators -- I think we have a few administrators, and then maybe only Lilysmommy as a moderator -- so it's easy for them to not notice a post slip through the cracks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's highly typical for a hedgehog to hide his or her first night in a new home. It's a scary world out there!

And, babies can sleep a LOT.
And, if he was up travelling or exploring with you during the daytime, he missed out on his usual beauty-sleep and is probably all tuckered out. (Try to interact with him on his schedule, either early mornings or evenings & nights, not mid-day.)

20C is at the very lower end of safe temperatures for hedgehogs. That could absolutely be an issue! Do check that your little friend's belly is warm, not cool. If you find he's cool, warm him up with your body heat (don't dunk him in water!) and read up on hibernation attempts. Being too cool can sometimes result to a reduced appetite, reduced activity, and sometimes even wobbly-walking, even if not a full-on hibernation attempt.

Heating pads are problematic because they only heat the ground, not the air. This means that thermostat-controlling is difficult (leading to way-too-hot pads and burnt feet if the probe isn't on the pad), and that the air is still cold (which can lead to hibernation attempts). Can you find a way to heat the air, either using a space heater or thermostat-controlled ceramic heat emitters (CHEs)?

...moderation can be a bit strange on this site. I get lots in moderation-land fairly frequently. I don't think it's easy for the moderators to tell when something is held as it's visible to them (and not to the rest of us). We also don't have many moderators -- I think we have a few administrators, and then maybe only Lilysmommy as a moderator -- so it's easy for them to not notice a post slip through the cracks.
I figured I'd leave him till tomorrow since i imagine the journey was stressful, but I think his belly was pretty warm earlier and I've got the heating going properly since then so I'd hope it's still ok for now
I have a che set up and going but there was a mix up and I ended up with a 100W thermostat vs a 300W one which apparently can't get the temps higher than 20! I'm working on replacing everything to 150/300 but its going to be at least a week :( for now I'm checking it and trying to keep the heat in (zoo zone 2 so it shouldn't be too hard). By heat pad I meant a snuggle safe heat disk which was apparently too hard for him haha, but until I can raise temps that's my backup... I was considering a space heater or just putting him closer to the radiator since its pretty closed in. If it drops any lower il definitely find something else. I'm worried I won't realise it's hibernation since I don't know his personality :,) everything just looks like it could be a sign. Perhaps I'm just paronoid though.
I'm also concerned that he's managed to get faeces all in his fur during travel but if I should avoid water should I leave it for now?? (So many questions, my apologies)

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Sounds like the heating setup is causing some complications. I'm going to be nosey and ask a lot of questions, because I think you might have mis-read something and I want to help you out so you don't end up spending money on things that aren't necessary!

1. Which brand thermostat did you get? Is it Zilla, ZooMed, or something else? What is the wattage rating of the thermostat? (Zillas and ZooMeds come in 500W or 1,000W. Either are usable for hedgehogs, but a typical heating-setup can use the 500W which is roughly $5 cheaper.)

2. For the CHE lamp, is the lamp socket ceramic (not metal or plastic)? How wide is the diameter of the lamp (width across the widest surface)? Typical numbers are 5.5", 8.5" and 10", although different brands can come in other diameters.

3. For the CHE bulb, what wattage is it? I've seen 50W, 60W, 75W, 100W, 150W, 200W, and 250W; they could certainly come in other wattages.

Moving him closer to the radiator can be tetchy since the draft can also cause problems, and it will probably dry out his skin. If necessary, maybe just shelter him from direct-drafts with a towel or other blanket-cover-thing? But it sounds like you're doing pretty good with your temporary situation.

Now, moving on! If his belly felt warm when you held him, and he seemed squirmy and active when you picked him up, it's probably just new home, exhausted baby.

It also sounds like he needs at least a mini-bath. If you're uncertain if he's trying hibernation, you can try using a damp towel to wipe him down to avoid getting him totally soaked. If you sure he isn't making hibernation attempts, then a bath is safe and can actually be a bit of a bonding experience (you get to be his saviour!).

Don't be sorry for questions! Asking is so much better than free-floating uncertainty!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like the heating setup is causing some complications. I'm going to be nosey and ask a lot of questions, because I think you might have mis-read something and I want to help you out so you don't end up spending money on things that aren't necessary!

1. Which brand thermostat did you get? Is it Zilla, ZooMed, or something else? What is the wattage rating of the thermostat? (Zillas and ZooMeds come in 500W or 1,000W. Either are usable for hedgehogs, but a typical heating-setup can use the 500W which is roughly $5 cheaper.)

2. For the CHE lamp, is the lamp socket ceramic (not metal or plastic)? How wide is the diameter of the lamp (width across the widest surface)? Typical numbers are 5.5", 8.5" and 10", although different brands can come in other diameters.

3. For the CHE bulb, what wattage is it? I've seen 50W, 60W, 75W, 100W, 150W, 200W, and 250W; they could certainly come in other wattages.

Moving him closer to the radiator can be tetchy since the draft can also cause problems, and it will probably dry out his skin. If necessary, maybe just shelter him from direct-drafts with a towel or other blanket-cover-thing? But it sounds like you're doing pretty good with your temporary situation.

Now, moving on! If his belly felt warm when you held him, and he seemed squirmy and active when you picked him up, it's probably just new home, exhausted baby.

It also sounds like he needs at least a mini-bath. If you're uncertain if he's trying hibernation, you can try using a damp towel to wipe him down to avoid getting him totally soaked. If you sure he isn't making hibernation attempts, then a bath is safe and can actually be a bit of a bonding experience (you get to be his saviour!).

Don't be sorry for questions! Asking is so much better than free-floating uncertainty!
The thermostat is zomodo- i now have both 100w and 300w in the same brand. I don't think its a commonly used or seen brand but its one i can buy locally and the only one i could find in my price range for now haha i think its helping..

The lamp i'm pretty sure is 8.5", And yes its ceramic- its a "repti clamp lamp" by reptizoo, i'm using the clamp to try and direct the lamp more towards his sleeping area for now since he's not moving too much. The lamp is also capable of taking 150W.

The bulb is 100w but i'm planning on replacing it with 150w since I've got a 300w thermostat now- I wasn't sure if changing the thermostat would help alone or not but it hasn't so far, but then im not sure changing the bulb would help either :?

Ahh ok, I've got extra fleece blankets on top of the cage but only on each end to try and trap in heat, i didn't want to constrict air flow too much.

The next evening and he's been coming out every now and then but still sleeping. I had him in my lap in a snugglebag for a half hour or so and he just kept fidgeting so now im not sure what to think? I guess it was noisy and odd being in my lap so i put him back. Nothing bad, i think.

I guess i might then, if only a small one. I certainly don't want him to get so freaked out he's scared of me haha

thank you so much!

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Hmm, can't find anything about that brand online, so I can't help with the models. But, things to know and/or check:

The thermostat alone doesn't produce any heat, it just controls the CHEs turning on and off. The 100W and the 300W are the upper limit on how much wattage the thermostat can safely control. For the 100W thermostat, only use 100W or smaller bulb. If you use multiple lamps and bulbs controlled by one thermostat, make sure the sum is less than 100W (2 50W bulbs would be ok). For the 300W thermostat, you can use up to 300W worth of bulbs. That can be one massive 300W bulb (I don't think they even make them that high wattage!), or two lamps with 150W bulbs (150+150=300), or any combination that is smaller than that (3 lamps with 50W + 100W + 50W = 200W < 300W, so safe).

The lamp sounds good. With 8.5" diameter lamps, you can safely use up to a 150W bulb.

You can absolutely try a 150W bulb. It will be able to produce more heat.

Another option is to get a second lamp, so you have two 100W (or 150W) CHEs controlled by the thermostat, turning on and off as necessary. If your thermostat has only one outlet, you can use a properly-rated splitter or power-strip (ask a hardware store for one rated for at least 300W) to plug in both lamps.

Sounds like you had a good first cuddle! Keep getting him out at least 30 min a night. Make sure he's eating, pooping, all that jazz. Sometimes when my guy gets really squirmy, it's him telling me, "I need to poop and/or eat NOW. Put me down, human." ...sometimes I'm not very good at listening!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmm, can't find anything about that brand online, so I can't help with the models. But, things to know and/or check:

The thermostat alone doesn't produce any heat, it just controls the CHEs turning on and off. The 100W and the 300W are the upper limit on how much wattage the thermostat can safely control. For the 100W thermostat, only use 100W or smaller bulb. If you use multiple lamps and bulbs controlled by one thermostat, make sure the sum is less than 100W (2 50W bulbs would be ok). For the 300W thermostat, you can use up to 300W worth of bulbs. That can be one massive 300W bulb (I don't think they even make them that high wattage!), or two lamps with 150W bulbs (150+150=300), or any combination that is smaller than that (3 lamps with 50W + 100W + 50W = 200W < 300W, so safe).

The lamp sounds good. With 8.5" diameter lamps, you can safely use up to a 150W bulb.

You can absolutely try a 150W bulb. It will be able to produce more heat.

Another option is to get a second lamp, so you have two 100W (or 150W) CHEs controlled by the thermostat, turning on and off as necessary. If your thermostat has only one outlet, you can use a properly-rated splitter or power-strip (ask a hardware store for one rated for at least 300W) to plug in both lamps.

Sounds like you had a good first cuddle! Keep getting him out at least 30 min a night. Make sure he's eating, pooping, all that jazz. Sometimes when my guy gets really squirmy, it's him telling me, "I need to poop and/or eat NOW. Put me down, human." ...sometimes I'm not very good at listening!
All of a sudden the thermometers started reading a degree higher every couple of hours?! I'm terribly confused since it's now almost hit 25oC which is pretty darn good. Thing is nothings really changed. Perhaps the set up was in a way, warming up to its job? I moved the thermometer since he was nibbling at it so maybe that...but i can't figure out what else would of made it take such a jump. As long as it sticks to it!
I think all my CHE wattages match up to what your saying- hopefully if i have trouble with this again i'm going to consider getting another, maybe smaller lamp for the other half of the cage. Will definitely go out and get a 150w bulb tomorrow (After already exchanging it from 150w to 100w once after realising my thermostat was only 100w, woops). I will have to remember to check the wattages with an extra lamp though...so if i get another, i can plug an extension into the 300w thermostat and then plug two 150w lamps into that right?

Secondly, after our cuddle i put him back in his cage and for the first time i've seen him out and about for a good 10 minutes. I put in a cardboard tube -which he promptly got his head stuck in, woopsie- since his cage looked a bit bare but i think he's ok now he's settling in. I'm going to invest in more toys and a wheel soon i think.
I'm hoping he begins to show signs of "I need to go" that i can notice- havent been peed on so far but plenty of poops, it's the first time a litterbox has really been introduced to him so understandable at his age :p Last bit of concern is that i haven't seen him eat anything except meal worms which he absolutely loves. Always comes out of his bed just to get one and then straight back in. Maybe i put too much food in his bowl but its not gone down much.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Thing is nothings really changed. Perhaps the set up was in a way, warming up to its job? I moved the thermometer since he was nibbling at it so maybe that...but i can't figure out what else would of made it take such a jump. As long as it sticks to it!
You mean, you moved the probe that the thermostat uses to monitor temperature? Yes, that can have a pretty dramatic effect depending on where it is.

I'm a little confused, or maybe you're confusing a thermometer and a thermostat? A thermometer measures what the temperature is, but doesn't turn anything on or off. A thermostat uses a sensor-probe (a thermometer!) to measure temperature, and switches on or off the heating devices (CHEs) plugged into it to maintain a steady temperature. Again, I don't know anything about the brand you're using, so it might be both integrated into one so you can read off what the temperature is directly.

I will have to remember to check the wattages with an extra lamp though...so if i get another, i can plug an extension into the 300w thermostat and then plug two 150w lamps into that right?
Yes, as long as it is a properly-rated splitter, power strip, extension. Buy one from a hardware store, and make sure it is rated to at least 300W. Any real one should be rated for far higher than that, but decorative pretty-style ones may not be.

I put in a cardboard tube -which he promptly got his head stuck in, woopsie- since his cage looked a bit bare but i think he's ok now he's settling in.
Hah! Yes, some hedgehogs love going tubing. You might want to put a lengthwise-slit down the tube so he can't get stuck, or only use it during supervised playtime so you can rescue him.

I'm going to invest in more toys and a wheel soon i think.
The UK users seem to like jellyrolls? It's a UK-made version of the bucket wheel. Or they're fun & easy to make yourself. A wheel is really important for your hedgehog, so do get one!

havent been peed on so far but plenty of poops [...] Maybe i put too much food in his bowl but its not gone down much.
If he's pooping, he must be eating something. Replace his food every day with fresh food. Aim to give him just slightly more than he eats in a night. Most hedgehogs seem to eat somewhere between a tablespoon and a 1/4 c of kibble per night (quite a range!). You can track how much he's eating by either kibble-counting, or by using a small food scale.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You mean, you moved the probe that the thermostat uses to monitor temperature? Yes, that can have a pretty dramatic effect depending on where it is.

I'm a little confused, or maybe you're confusing a thermometer and a thermostat? A thermometer measures what the temperature is, but doesn't turn anything on or off. A thermostat uses a sensor-probe (a thermometer!) to measure temperature, and switches on or off the heating devices (CHEs) plugged into it to maintain a steady temperature. Again, I don't know anything about the brand you're using, so it might be both integrated into one so you can read off what the temperature is directly.

Yes, as long as it is a properly-rated splitter, power strip, extension. Buy one from a hardware store, and make sure it is rated to at least 300W. Any real one should be rated for far higher than that, but decorative pretty-style ones may not be.

Hah! Yes, some hedgehogs love going tubing. You might want to put a lengthwise-slit down the tube so he can't get stuck, or only use it during supervised playtime so you can rescue him.

The UK users seem to like jellyrolls? It's a UK-made version of the bucket wheel. Or they're fun & easy to make yourself. A wheel is really important for your hedgehog, so do get one!

If he's pooping, he must be eating something. Replace his food every day with fresh food. Aim to give him just slightly more than he eats in a night. Most hedgehogs seem to eat somewhere between a tablespoon and a 1/4 c of kibble per night (quite a range!). You can track how much he's eating by either kibble-counting, or by using a small food scale.
Sorry, I think I haven't explained well enough- I have the thermostat set up but then I also have a small thermometer separate from the thermostat in the same area so I can see the temp, The thermostat is kind of just hanging in the cage because I can't figure out how to secure it without using cello tape or something so its always just hanging above the bed-area. The thermometer is on the same side but it came with suction cups so its stuck to the wall through the hole where the water bottle goes- but he started biting it so I moved it up a tid bit. So generally, unless everytime I open the cage the thermostat prob is moving without me noticing, I don't see why the thermometer is reading the change as so much. I mean i'm glad of it but I'm questioning if its a fluke or not.

Ok, I have a few extensions but i'll have to check if they're suitable first

I cut it down the middle and left it in overnight, by what I could hear and see hes only chewing it now! (is that safe?) If he gets stuck again i'll find a bigger one :p

Ohh definitely, I have a few saved pages for places to get one but i'm hoping to try and make one if I find what i need. I don't think he had one before so it would be nice to see him run.

I'm still using the food from where I got him from but i think its a brand made for hedgehogs so i'm trying to switch over, i didn't count the first two days so i'm not sure if he's eating the new stuff or not :s I have three new bags to try (and cats if he rejects them ha) but i definitely heard munching last night so he's warming up. He also appears to be using his potty! proud hedgie mom already.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good!

Eating cardboard probably isn't the healthiest choice. My little guy does that with tubes, so I can't leave them with him.
Ok if he continues i'll put it in only when supervised :)
Now that all the heating etc questions are ok one (hopefully) final question- I just bathed him and i think it went ok, used some fragrance-free soft on skin/fur etc puppy shampoo in moderation and i brushed him down with a small toothbrush, though still a few dirty bits i missed here and there. But now hes in my lap and i'm not sure how to dry him. I tried using a towel but it was already covered in loose threads so i went with a spare fleece liner and now he's in his bag. Is that enough? I'm not sure if he's drying or not since he's buried into the fleece so i can only assume for now..If he's kept close to me and warm, then definitely dry or drying in his bag when i put him back is that ok?
also he's sneezing. Only because of the bath, he got water in his nose. I hope that's not a problem?? It's adorable but worrying! The bath made him really friendly until he was on solid ground again haha :roll:

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I usually end up having to transfer my tiny friend around from bag to bag to get him dry. You'll find something that works for you. For us, we do a towel-wrap that lasts about 5 minutes, then he poops in it (...sigh...) and I transfer him to one of his snuggle sacks. They're made of flannel, so are semi-absorbant. He stays in them cuddling with me for a while, and sometimes, depending on how wet he is, I might transfer him into a final (dry) bag. I don't put him back into his cage until he's dry.

The nose-in-water sneezing is somewhat inevitable. It can lead to a upper respiratory infection, so you'd really prefer he didn't dunk his nose, but the two times it's happened with us, although he sneezed that night, by the next day he was fine. If a few days from now he's still sneezing, licking his nose a lot, or has a runny nose, then those are symptoms of a URI and would require a vet visit.

...it's like dropping your hedgehog. You don't want it to happen, you'll be worried when it does happen, it will eventually happen to all of us (at least once), and, with a bit of luck, everything is fine afterwards.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I usually end up having to transfer my tiny friend around from bag to bag to get him dry. You'll find something that works for you. For us, we do a towel-wrap that lasts about 5 minutes, then he poops in it (...sigh...) and I transfer him to one of his snuggle sacks. They're made of flannel, so are semi-absorbant. He stays in them cuddling with me for a while, and sometimes, depending on how wet he is, I might transfer him into a final (dry) bag. I don't put him back into his cage until he's dry.

The nose-in-water sneezing is somewhat inevitable. It can lead to a upper respiratory infection, so you'd really prefer he didn't dunk his nose, but the two times it's happened with us, although he sneezed that night, by the next day he was fine. If a few days from now he's still sneezing, licking his nose a lot, or has a runny nose, then those are symptoms of a URI and would require a vet visit.

...it's like dropping your hedgehog. You don't want it to happen, you'll be worried when it does happen, it will eventually happen to all of us (at least once), and, with a bit of luck, everything is fine afterwards.
Hmm i used his snuggle snack but i only have one right now. it seemed to work though and he was happy to go back in after wards. The sneezing stopped too so hopefully no more issues :smile: thank you again for your help you've put a lot of my worries at ease!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts