Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I have a spray that claims to help with dry skin and can be added to hedgehog food as a supplement, but I wanted your guys' opinion on it before I started using it again. I haven't used it since Holly developed a skin issue and I was using this on her but it turned out to be a bacterial infection. I am worried that the spray may have made it worse. I will list the ingredients below and let me know what you think! Thanks!

Caprylic/ Capric Triglyceride (100% Coconut Oil Fatty Acids), Grape Seed Oil Extract (safe for pets including dogs), Rubus Idaeus (Raspberry) Seed Oil.

I directly copied the ingredients and here is some other information as well.

Calories- 21
Total Fat- 2g (2.29% DV)
Saturated Fat- 2g (70% DV)
Featuring proprietary processed Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCT) made from Coconut Essential Fatty Acids 6, 8, 10, and 12combined with antioxidant oils.

Thanks for the help! :)

·
Registered
Holly is 3 years old. Super cuddly with me but huffy with others.
2,011 Posts
Having a read of the benefits of the differnt oils, and putting on food is fine and would have pretty good benefits!

You said you put it "on her" this is likely what caused a problem!
Coconut oil and grapeseed oil are no good for leaving on skin, these oils should be properly washed off.
Raspberry seed oil is noncomodenic, meaning it wont clog the pores so its the only one that can really be used right on the skin, though its still better not to if you can help it because of how they should be kept.

Ideally with our aphs, you should use oils on food, or use in bath water and thoroughly wash off after to prevent fungal and bacterial issues.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, thank you! Yes, the spray was advertised as a food supplement and a spray to put directly on their skin and didn't say to wash off, for a moisturizer. I'll talk with my vet and see if he agrees that I can put it in her food. Thanks! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts