Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! We have a 2 year old hedgehog, Frank, and we are interested in possibly adopting a dog(or two) but I am a little worried about them not being able to cohabitate together. We just moved into a new two bedroom apartment so my plan was to have Franks cage in the second bedroom and not allow the dogs in unless under close supervision or just to train them to stay away from his area. Frank has a normal cage (rabbit size, on the ground)and then a fenced in area outside the cage with fleece/waterproofed padding that we call his yard that just has little tunnels and things for him to snuffle around in. Frank usually wakes up at about 9pm and does his wheel and then kind of scurries around all night in between the yard and cage. I am worried that if the dogs hear something scurrying around behind the closed door of the second bedroom they will go crazy all night trying to figure out what it is or be constantly trying to break in to sniff around.
We were originally interested in a pug, Boston terrier or daschund but I don't know if those being traditional "rat hunting" breeds would exacerbate the issue. Frank is a pretty outgoing hedgehog and very curious - he loves exploring and is not shy but I don't want to subject him to constant barking or let him feel like he's being hunted.

Does anyone else have any hunting breed dogs as well as a hedgehog? Has anyone had success training one of these breeds to ignore their Hedge?

·
Registered
30 Posts
You shold have a top to the cage just in case the dogs get in and maby you shold put a big blanket and maby 2 or 3 maby you shold get a sound less wheel

1 - 2 of 2 Posts